Goal 1: All students will improve reading comprehension across the curriculum.
Essence: Reading comprehension is the understanding of the text that goes beyond surface meaning.
Indicators of Success
- Students will answer reading comprehension questions using higher order thinking skills.
- Students will complete reading comprehension assessment tests that utilize higher order questions.
- Students will ask reading comprehension questions that reflect higher order thinking skills.
Students will use Kidspiration/Inspiration in grades K-5 to improve reading comprehension.
- Teachers will model, demonstrate, and teach Kidspiration/ Inspiration to students in grades K-5.
- Students will learn and apply Kidspiration/ Inspiration in Reading comprehension activities.
- All Staff will use research based strategies to improve reading comprehension through data driven instruction.
- Students will receive instruction using either Kidspiration or Inspiration programs to improve reading comprehension.
- All Students will be able to demonstrate comprehension through analyzing text.
Goal 2: All students will improve problem solving and reasoning in mathematics through high level critical thinking.
Essence: Students will analyze a situation and draw appropriate and correct conclusions from the given data using a variety of approaches to develop their thinking and reasoning.
Indicators of Success
- Students will answer critical thinking questions using higher order thinking skills.
- Students will complete critical thinking assessment tests that utilize higher order questions.
- Students will ask critical thinking questions that reflect higher order thinking skills.
Students will utilize higher level critical thinking skills and the ability to self monitor their own progress in completing open ended tasks through progressively improving the complexity of their responses.
- Teachers will use Think Alouds to model, demonstrate, and teach problem solving strategies of: draw a diagram, sketch, or picture; construct a model; make a chart, table, or graph; look for patterns; use an organized list; guess and check; write an equation; use logical reasoning; make it simpler; act it out; choose an operation; work backwards
- Students will learn and apply the practice of selecting a problem solving method from the Problem Solving Strategies chart.
- Teachers will provide students with instructional opportunities to analyze a situation and draw appropriate and correct conclusions from given data to develop their thinking and reasoning at least one time per week. Students analyze a situation and draw appropriate and correct conclusion from given data at least one time per week to develop their thinking and reasoning.
- All Staff will use research based strategies to improve student's problem solving and reasoning through higher level tasks requiring critical thinking.
- Students will formulate higher order thinking in their problem solving and reasoning.
- Students will progress through performance levels ranging from novice to apprentice, to practitioners, to expert.
- All Students will be able to effectively answer higher order open ended questions, and will also be able to use problem solving strategies.
- Exemplars and other Open Ended Problem Solving strategies
- Problem Solving Charts Selected Problem Solving Strategies
- Think Alouds
- Graphic Organizers