Study (Field) Trips
Academics are not restricted to the classroom, but take place in the community as well. Therefore, study trips may be ongoing throughout the school year. A letter from your child's teacher, to include the date, time, and destination of the study trip, will be sent home the week prior to the planned trip. At various times during the school year, classes may take study trips as part of the instructional program. Study trips are considered part of the instructional day. Children MUST HAVE A PERMISSION SLIP SIGNED BY THE PARENT before they go on any trip leaving the school. If a parent does not not want to send their child on a study trip, the teacher will make alternate arrangements for the child to attend another class for the period of the study trip or parents may elect to keep their child at home. Parents may attend the study trip with the child in these instances. Chaperones may not bring siblings/infants on a study trip. As an invited chaperone, one's responsibility must be to help supervise all the students in the classroom.
Guidelines for Chaperones
- All chaperones pay their way (entrance fees, transportation, if not DoDEA funded bus, etc.).
- Other younger/preschool age children in the family will not be allowed to accompany parents on a trip, as they tend to distract parents and students alike.
- Children from other classrooms will not be allowed to accompany their brothers/sisters on a study trip.
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE CHAPERONES TO SMOKE OR DRINK ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AT ANY TIME DURING A STUDY TRIP.
- Chaperones are required to accompany the class to and from the trip. Following the bus in their private vehicle is not close supervision.
- Chaperones may not transport their student or any other student to and from the study trip. Students are required to ride the bus to and from the study trip. Under no circumstances may a child be checked out from the study trip(with the exception of a bona fide emergency). The child MUST return to the school and then he/she may be checked out at that time.
- Chaperones must have an approved volunteer application on file prior to attending a field trip as a chaperone. Please allow 5 business days for processing of all volunteer request forms.