The Fort Bragg School Board will be holding regular elections this May 2015. Six seats are up for election due to PCS moves. Board members serve 3-year terms and must meet several specific requirements in order to be nominated. If you are interested in serving in this capacity, petitions can be filled out at the Fort Bragg District Office on Bastogne Drive or at one of our Fort Bragg Schools. Filing for the vacancy opens Monday, May 11, 2015 and the filing period closes at 12:00p.m. on Friday, May 15, 2015. School wide elections will take place on May 19, 2015. Newly elected School Board members will be sworn in on June 4, 2015. Please refer to the Fort Bragg District DoDEA Americas website or contact Betty Sechrest at 910-907-0200 for additional information.
Research demonstrates that parent involvement is essential for student success. Although you may not become involved in all committees and support organizations in the school, we encourage the following activities for your parental support:
- Join the school parent/teacher organization (PTO or PTA) and participate in meetings and activities.
- Have lunch at school with your child regularly.
- Volunteer in your child's classroom.
- Establish a daily study time at home (even when there's no homework).
- Participate in the Continuous School Improvement (CSI) efforts at your child's school.
- Keep informed of school events and activities by reading school newsletters and your child's classroom newsletter.
- Communicate frequently with your child's teacher.
- Prepare for and participate in parent-teacher conferences.
- Ensure your child has a well-balanced breakfast and comes to school with completed homework, lunch money and school supplies.
There are many volunteer opportunities for parents eager to get involved with their students education or for other interested community members. We appreciate all who help as volunteers. In order to assist you in becoming a volunteer; we ask that you complete the following.
- A Fort Bragg Military Criminal Record Check must be completed by the Fort Bragg Provost Marshall's office located on the corner of Butner and Armistead Streets. (Butner Gate Entrance)
- Hours of Operation (M, T, TH, F 8:30-4:30 and CLOSED on Wednesday's) 910-396-4931
- DD Form 2793, Volunteer Agreement form
- Completion of the AT LEVEL 1 Awareness Training. (This training must be completed if you are planning to participate in any school sponsored field trip). Training can be accessed by using the following link: https://atlevel1.dtic.mil/at/ . Provide a copy of the certificate to your school. There is also a link located on each schools website under, Get Involved. Training can be completed from your home computer or at your Neighborhood Center. (Computers are not available at the schools for use in completing this training). ACTIVE DUTY PERSONNEL ARE EXEMPT FROM THIS STEP.
- Your complete packet must be turned into your school's office for approval prior to volunteering. Let the school receiving the volunteer packet know if you have children in another on post school so it can be scanned to that school for your child.
- DD2793, Volunteer Agreement for Appropriated Fund Activities and Non Appropriated Fund Instrumentalities.
- Enclosure 2 of DoDEA AI 4700.3, Application and Background Checks for DoDEA School Volunteers and Student Teachers
Being a DDESS school board member is a serious responsibility but one that offers significant rewards - the primary reward being the opportunity to actively participate in the process of educating our children.
However, unlike the school boards in the Local Education Authority (LEA), DDESS school boards act purely in an advisory capacity, providing input to the Superintendent and administrators in the areas of fiscal, personnel and educational policies, procedures and programs. The DDESS school district superintendent makes final decisions on matters affecting the school district. Read more about the responsibilities of a DDESS School Board.