NC-Fort Bragg District Policies and Procedures
Inclement Weather Procedures
When hurricanes, snow or other severe weather conditions occur, it is sometimes necessary to cancel school, delay the opening of school, or dismiss classes early.
Before the School Day Begins
If it becomes necessary to cancel school due to inclement weather parents will be notified through our One Call Now telephone system as well as listen to local radio or TV stations in the morning for information about school cancellation for the day.
Announcements about school closings will come from the NC-Fort Bragg District Superintendent's Office, not from individual schools or Post agencies.
After the School Day Has Begun
Once the school day has begun, every effort will be made to keep school in session for the entire day. Many of our children have two working parents, and we understand the problems that early dismissal might cause. The decision to close school during the day is announced as soon as possible through our One Call Now telephone system as well as on local radio and TV. It is important for parents to stay tuned to a local station if they suspect possible school closings.
Middle School Dress Policy
The NC-Fort Bragg District adopted a standardized dress policy for middle school students in 1999. We know this policy helps foster an environment of school pride and improves our safety, order and discipline while maintaining focus on academic achievement. The first requirement of a quality education is to create a safe and disciplined learning environment. The development of our standardized dress code policy is based on research and survey results from parents, teachers and students.
The objectives of this policy are to ensure the safety of students and to minimize the disruptions and distractions that can be caused by inappropriate attire. The guidelines set forth are to curb distractions and keep the focus of all students on academics. The policy applies to all students 6th - 8th grades.
Any speech, language, picture, or logo, etc. that promotes the illegal use of drugs, alcohol, or tobacco, or that promotes violence or discrimination, or that is lewd, vulgar, or obscene in nature, will not be tolerated at school. The school has the authority to limit any speech that materially and substantially disrupts the work and discipline of the school.
Shoes and Boots
Shoes and boots must be closed toe and closed heel with no more than on inch heel.
- Required Colors (plain/ solid): Red,White or Navy Blue (Colors of the US Flag)
- All Shirts must have buttons, sleeves (short or long), and collars, and shirts must be tucked in. Pullover polo style or dress shirts/blouses with short or long sleeves must have collars. Collars,button down or polo shirts, with or without the school logo, are allowed. Only the top two buttons of a shirt may be undone.
- Sweaters must be pullovers, cardigans, sweater vest/ sweater shirt style in red, white, navy blue, black, or tan.
- Size appropriate sweatshirts (not hooded) may be worn over policy approved shirts in red, white, navy blue, black, or tan.
- Jackets, coats, and/or fleece pull-overs cannot be worn inside the classroom during the school day. (PE teachers may authorize students to wear these items when students are outside during colder weather.)
- Turtle neck sweaters are acceptable and turtleneck shirts may be worn under an approved sweater or sweatshirt.
- Camisoles or shirts worn underneath approved collared shirt must be in the approved color.
- Skirts must fall at a length that is appropriate for school which is no more than 4 inches from the center of the knee (both front and back). The final determination of hemline length falls to the judgment of the school administrators.
- Leotards/hosiery can be worn in approved colors of red, white, blue, black, tan, or khaki.
- Solid colors in navy blue, black or tan are acceptable.
- Walking shorts or skorts cannot be too short. The bottom hem must be within 4 inches of the center of the knee.″
- For boys dress style slacks (e.g.Dockers, Chinos, etc.) are acceptable. For girls slacks, shorts and skorts without belt loops are acceptable. Belts must be plain with no decoration. Novelty belts and novelty belt buckles are not allowed.
- Sagging pants are not allowed.
- The following are not acceptable:
- painter pants
- denim of any kind or color
- spandex pants
- pants with drawstrings or excessive flair bottoms
- excessively tight, baggy, or revealing clothing
- Accessories including, but not limited to: earrings, necklaces, rings, watches and bracelets will be limited to not more than two (2) each accessory.
- Girls and boys may wear accessories that do not cause a safety concern and are not excessive or distracting to the educational environment. Over sized items are not acceptable. That determination will fall to the Administrative team if further clarification is needed.
- Tattoos (real or temporary) and writing on the skin is not acceptable. A tattoo that is otherwise visible must be covered to the maximum extent possible. Facial piercing is not acceptable.
- Sweatbands, "Do-Rags," bandanas, scarves (neck and/ or hair), etc. are not allowed - hats may not be worn in the building.
- Over sized purses/handbags must remain in lockers.
PE Uniform Requirements
- T-Shirts: Gray, Red or White
- Gym Shorts: Navy Blue or Black
- Tennis Shoes
If you have any questions or need clarification concerning appropriate or acceptable clothing for school, please contact the school principal. This dress code is designed to be a religiously neutral, mandatory, universally applicable code. However, we recognize that in some unique circumstances, accommodations (exceptions) to the dress code may be reasonable and appropriate. Parents may request that their child be permitted to opt out of some or all of the dress code provisions. Requests to opt out of the dress code must be provided to the principal in writing and must provide an appropriate rational to support the request. A parents request to opt out of the dress code prohibitions related to speech that promotes the illegal use of drugs, alcohol, or tobacco, or that promotes violence, discrimination, or that is lewd or obscene will not be accepted.
Administrators reserve the right and will address any situation and/or dress code violation (items not covered) that may disrupt the learning environment.