Maintaining a work environment free from sexual harassment behavior is important for maximum productivity, teamwork and high morale.
Examine personal behavior using the following checklist:
- Does this behavior adversely impact on mission accomplishment?
- Could this behavior offend or hurt other co-workers?
- Could this behavior be misinterpreted as intentionally harmful or harassing?
- Could this behavior be sending out signals that invite harassing behavior on the part of others?
Ask yourself the following questions:
- Is there equal participation between me and the person I'm interacting with?
- Is there equal power between me and the person I'm interacting with?
- Would I want any of these behaviors to appear on the six o'clock news?
- Would I behave this way if my family, spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend or minister were present?
- Would I want someone else to behave this way toward my husband, wife, son, daughter, boyfriend or girlfriend?
If you answered NO to these questions, the behavior(s) is probably inappropriate and may constitute sexual harassment.