Check Personnel Records
- Have there been other complaints about the same alleged harasser?
- Has there been a high turnover of the alleged harasser's female/male subordinates? If so, this could identify other witnesses, targets.
Make Credibility Determinations
Often there are no witnesses to the actual conduct, so making a credibility determination is often the crux of the case. Factors to consider in determining the credibility of either party (all are relevant):
- Inherent plausibility
- Is the testimony believable on its face?
- Did the person seem to be telling the truth or lying?
- Motive to Falsify:
- Did the person have a reason to lie?
- Is there witness testimony or physical documentation that corroborates the person's testimony?
- Past Record
- Did the alleged harasser have a history of similar behavior in the past?