All DDESS districts use the Funds Administration and Standardized Document Automation (FastData) software to initiate and track accounting transactions. The FastData software:
- automatically assigns document numbers
- generates forms from entered data
- posts commitments and obligations into the official accounting system
- generates expenditure reports
- links the supply process of ordering and receiving materials and services to the accounting system.
- interfaces with the official accounting systems.
The Resource Management Division holds oversight authority for FastData Operating Procedures and assists area office and district personnel in utilizing the system.
The official accounting systems used by DDESS are:
- Prior to and including Fiscal Year (FY) 2010: Standard Accounting and Reporting System-Field Level (STARS-FL)
- FY 2011 and later: Washington Allotment Accounting System (WAAS)
The official accounting systems are located at DFAS Indianapolis, IN and provide:
- General Ledger Control
- Funds Status Reporting
- Cost Accounting
They allow DDESS ASC and Districts to capture expenditures by program codes and object classifications and compare them to previously approved budget lines. These management tools are subject to the DoD Joint Review Programs Tri-Annual Certification.