RER101: Reading Improve M (2013-2014)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: English Language Arts
COURSE TITLE: Reading Improve M
CALENDAR YEAR: 2013-2014
GRADE LEVEL: 7-8
COURSE LENGTH: 36 weeks
Major Concepts/Content: The reading improvement course is designed to provide reading instruction for students in grades 7-12 who are in need of remedial assistance. The scope of such instruction is generally focused on decoding strategies, basic vocabulary development, comprehension at the literal level, simplified study techniques, reading for personal pleasure, and the application of these skills to daily life.
Major Instructional Activities: Instructional activities will be delivered in a classroom or reading laboratory setting and will include individualized lessons/counseling, peer teaching, and small group instruction. Students will use materials appropriate to their levels of reading and interests. Trade books, magazines, audiovisual materials, games, and textbooks may be used for instruction.
Major Evaluative Techniques: A student’s grade will be based on individual progress, effort, level of interest, class participation, daily assignments, and test results. A record of recreational reading maybe kept by each student.
Course Objectives: A student's grade will be based on individual progress, effort, level of interest, class participation, daily assignments, and test results. A record of recreational reading maybe kept by each student.
Essential Objectives: Upon completion of the reading improvement course, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of letter-sound relationships.
- Apply structural analysis to word forms.
- Demonstrate knowledge of a basic sight vocabulary.
- Read orally with fluency,
- Understand material at the factual and inferential levels, Locate necessary information to complete a given task.
- Apply reading skills to content area course materials.
- Examine basic consumer information.
- Show an appreciation for reading for personal enjoyment.