SSP505: Dev Psych (2013-2014)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Social Studies
COURSE TITLE: Psyc of Personality (Quantico Only)
CALENDAR YEAR: 2013-2014
GRADE LEVEL: 11-12
COURSE LENGTH: 18 weeks
Major Concepts/Content: The psychology course helps students understand the major theories of personality development and the internal/external factors that can lead to abnormal behavior. Emphasis is placed on personality theories, health psychology, psychological disorders, and psychotherapy. An interdisciplinary on the myth of the hero across time and culture, connecting Jungian psychology and literature, is included at the end of the course.
Major Instructional Activities: Instructional activities will be provided using the content of the psychology course. Students will participate in-group activities that enhance the study of specific units, conduct computer-generate interactive exercises using PsychQuest and PsychSim, conduct psychological research, and complete research for oral and written reports. Activities should include participating in self-awareness and group dynamic activities.
Major Evaluative Techniques: Evaluation will be comprised of assessment of individual projects, unit tests, group participation, tests defining knowledge of psychological theories, and assessment of research methods.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of the psychology course, students should be able to demonstrate an understanding of:
- What is meant by personality and personality constructs
- Personality approaches and theories
- Assessment tools used in personality
- Sources of stress
- Physiological and psychological reactions to stress
- Cognitive and behavioral strategies to deal with stress and promote health
- Characteristics and origins of abnormal behavior
- Methods used in exploring abnormal behavior
- Impact of mental disorders
- Prominent treatment methods used to treat people with disorders
- Types of practitioners who implement treatment
- Legal and ethical challenges involved in delivery of treatment
Course Notes: DDESS Quantico Ony