SSW501: Russ Hist (2013-2014)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Social Studies
COURSE TITLE: Russian History
CALENDAR YEAR: 2013-2014
GRADE LEVEL: 11-12
COURSE LENGTH: 18 weeks
Major Concepts/Content: The Russian history course is a one-semester study of Russia from the beginning of the Russian people to the foundation of the Soviet state. The major emphasis is on the Russian rulers and how their lives affected the lives of the people. In this context we see how events build to the Russian revolution. The major areas that will be explored are: Early Russia, the Kievian State, Mongol Invasions, Rise of Novgorod, Rise of Moscow, Rulers of MOSCOW from 1533-1682, and Imperial Russia from 1682-1917.
Major Instructional Activities: Instructional activities will include general content lectures and multimedia presentations of information on the topic. Students will engage in various research activities designed to complement the information gained in other ways. Audiovisual devices will be used to present a picture of pre-revolution Russia.
Major Evaluative Techniques: Students will be evaluated through a research paper, tests on the nine themes of Russian history, and participation in class discussions. A major three-page typed research paper is required. Student notebooks are also graded.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of the Russian history course, students should be able to:
- Evaluate the effects of migration movements in Russian history.
- Analyze the historical development of Russian foreign policy.
- Arrange the evens of Russian history in chronological order.
- Map the growth of the Russian Empire.
- Locate major landforms, natural resources, and climatic regions and explain their importance in Russian history.
- Analyze the rights, responsibilities, and obligations of the Russian nobility.
- Outline the history of political dissent in the Russian Empire.
- Discuss the forces that shaped the development of the Russian revolution,
- Define the role of the tsar in shaping Russian history.
- Analyze the role of the nobility in the Russian economic system.