PTP515: Adv Comp (2013-2014)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Career and Technical Education
COURSE TITLE: Advance Comp Studies
CALENDAR YEAR: 2013-2014
GRADE LEVEL: 11-12
COURSE LENGTH: 18 weeks
Major Instructional Activities: Students will analyze a problem, design a solution, write the program needed to solve the problem, test the program and make the necessary corrections in the program. Activities will include hands-on programming, group and individual assignments and special projects. Students may demonstrate the ability to communicate with instructor and peers via communications software. Students will use electronic learning services to access additional resources.
Major Evaluative Techniques: Assessment will be accomplished by
- Successful completion of assignments.
- Assignments will be evaluated for structure, the correct use of programming statements, documentation, conciseness, and appropriateness of the solution to the problem.
- Success may be demonstrated by written tests, oral tests, class work, projects, or other means deemed appropriate by the instructor.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of the course, students should be able to
- Use the major components of the language editor.
- Use structure charts to diagram algorithm design and program flow.
- Demonstrate the ability to use top-down programming design.
- Use appropriate language statements for data input, output, storage, and retrieval, as well as controlling peripheral devices.
- Use appropriate programming structures for looping and branching through the use of conditionals, counters, and subroutines.
- Use appropriate built-in functions and arithmetic operators.
- Use the essentials of operating systems to complete a project.
- Demonstrate the ability to write concise programs.
- Work together to solve problems and agree on common solutions.
- Demonstrate the ability to use various data types and structures.
- Identify and correct errors using debugging tools.
- Demonstrate the ethical use of computers.
- Identify career paths.
Course Notes: Credit-computer or careers