LAE605: LA Lab 12 (2013-2014)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: English Language Arts
COURSE TITLE: Lang Arts Lab 12
CALENDAR YEAR: 2013-2014
GRADE LEVEL: 12
COURSE LENGTH: 36 weeks
Major Concepts/Content: To improve reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills of students not achieving at grade level. Students will read to learn by:
- Connecting text to prior knowledge.
- Understanding text structure to analyze and respond to literature.
- Using text processing strategies "before", "during", and "after" reading to build a foundation for a text, make sense of reading as it occurs, and to synthesize, apply, evaluate, or bridge understanding.
- Using the Writing Process.prewriting, drafting, revision, editing, and publishing.
- Practicing timed writing.
- Taking notes on literature.
- Reflecting, discussing, and evaluating writing assignments.
- Engaging in both formal and informal presentations.
- Learning how to be active listeners.
Major Instructional Activities: A planned progression of skills and content knowledge in narrative and informational text will be provided in a classroom setting using writing, inquiry, collaboration, and reading strategies in:
- Content area text.
- Trade books Lexile leveled to match students' instructional levels.
- Supplementary and reference materials.
Major Evaluative Techniques: Assessment instruments used will illustrate strengths as well as needs of students and will include:
- Oral and written feedback on class assignments, written work, oral discussions, and class participation.
- Performance tasks to demonstrate understanding of course-related reading and writing skills using specific strategies.
- Scholastic Reading Inventory (SRI) Lexile level
- Self and peer analysis of skills and comprehension.
- Weekly conferences with teacher to identify goals and assess progress.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of the Language Arts Lab course, students should be able to use strategies to be:
- A more effective reader.
- A more confident writer.
- A more articulate speaker.
- An active listener.