ARA615: AP Studio Art3D+ (2013-2014)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Advanced Placement
COURSE TITLE: AP Studio Art 3D Design+
CALENDAR YEAR: 2013-2014
GRADE LEVEL: 12
COURSE LENGTH: 36 weeks
About the Program:
The AP Studio Art: 3D class is an introductory college-level course that addresses three-dimensional design issues as students investigate the principals of design. Experience with various media is extensive and includes sculpture, architectural models, assemblage, ceramics, three-dimensional fiber arts, figural works- both realistic and abstracted, cast pieces and kinetic pieces. Projects are open-ended to allow each student to develop a body of work that illustrates personal vision and artistic style. The issue of artistic integrity is explored as students learn how to develop original works. Students are expected to take the AP exam at the end of this course.
Major Concepts/Content: The AP Studio Art 3D program is intended for those students who are interested in the practical application of art. Students engage in research and work with the teacher on an individual basis to determine the direction their own final portfolios might take. Critical thinking and decision making are emphasized as students analyze their own and the work of others and making selections for the portfolio.
- Develop critical thinking skills
- Increase cultural literacy
- Develop visual perception
- Understand creativity, growth, and maturity of a style within an artists career
- Develop an art vocabulary
- Study the media, techniques and processes used in the creation of art works
- Understand the role of visual art and architecture within a larger context
- Formal and conceptual issues are explored through creative and systematic investigations.
- Students use informed and critical decision-making as an on going process for the creation of art.
Course Philosophy: AP Studio Art 3D challenges students to enhance their knowledge and skills learned from previous studio classes and to explore new media and techniques. Risk taking is encouraged and students learn to take ownership over their AP experience. Opportunities are provided for the students to develop their skills and to make sure students stay within the guidelines set forth by College Board.
Course Notes: Weighted - Must Take AP Exam (+ indicated Weighted)