SSW302: Asian Cul (2013-2014)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Social Studies
COURSE TITLE: Asian Culture
CALENDAR YEAR: 2013-2014
GRADE LEVEL: 9-12
COURSE LENGTH: 18 weeks
Major Concepts/Content: The Asian culture course is a one-semester course designed to study the historical and current developments that have influenced culture characteristics of China, Japan, and India. Students survey the historical development of the three major nations from pre-history to the present. In this context the students see how the historical method enables them to identify the major characteristics Asian society and how these characteristics will influence foreign affairs, economics, and demographic trends in the 21st century. The major areas of investigation include the dynastic cycle of China, the Japanese feudal system, European imperialism in India, and the Communist Revolution in China.
Major Instructional Activities: Instructional activities will focus on lectures, complemented by class discussions. Students will view filmstrips and videos dealing with Asian studies. Slides of Japan, China, and India will also be employed.
Major Evaluative Techniques: Students will be required to complete two oral presentations during the semester. The grade will be based on tests, oral presentations, Library research, and class participation.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of the Asian culture course, students should be able to:
- Outline selected cultural events and histories from the different Chinese dynasties.
- Describe the colonization of major Asian countries, especially China.
- Study the characteristics of the different Japanese clan periods.
- Compare the major economic and political aspects of China and Japan.
- Outline selected cultural events and histories of Japan.
- Describe the modernization of Japan as compared with the colonization of China.
- Recount the major part which nationalism played in Japan's rapid development.
- Understand the characteristics of the different Chinese dynasties.
- Compare the Chinese dynasties with other Asian civilizations.