HUH401: Humanities (2013-2014)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Humanities
COURSE TITLE: Humanities
CALENDAR YEAR: 2013-2014
GRADE LEVEL: 9-12
COURSE LENGTH: 36 weeks
Major Concepts/Content: The humanities course is designed to bean integrated study of history, literature, language, philosophy, the visual arts, theatre, dance, and music. Emphasis is placed on critical thinking, creativity, and the rights and responsibilities of the individual in a society. Students explore aspects of human behavior and human ideals.
Major Instructional Activities: Instructional activities will be interdisciplinary in focus, drawing content examples, and resources from a variety of curriculum areas. Emphasis is placed on the arts, including theater the visual arts, dance music, architecture, film, and television. Activities also emphasize the cultural resources of the host nation and the diverse cultures where DoDDS schools are located. The course will provide opportunities for individuals to explore ethical and moral issues. Visits to museums and attendance at performing arts productions will be scheduled when feasible. Guest speakers will also be invited to the class.
Major Evaluative Techniques: Students will be required to pass written and oral tests on course content. All projects and research papers will be evaluated according to criteria established by the instructor.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of the humanities course, students should be able to: Understand Our Human Nature.
- To understand our physical nature.
- To understand our psychological nature.
- To understand our social nature.
- To understand our aesthetic nature.
- To understand our spiritual nature.
- To understand that humans explore
- To understand that humans think
- To understand that humans lead
- To understand that humans create
- To understand that humans seek truth.
- To understand that humans seek love.
- To understand that humans seek justice.
- To understand that humans seek beauty.