FLJ301: Japanese1 (2014-2015)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Foreign Language Program
COURSE TITLE: Japanese I
CALENDAR YEAR: 2014-2015
GRADE LEVEL: 9-12
COURSE LENGTH: 36 weeks
This is a beginning level course that will introduce the student to a variety of areas of language learning. In this course, the student will learn listening, speaking, reading and writing skills through activities that are based on pedagogically proven methods of foreign language instruction.
Students learn to express themselves using an ever increasing vocabulary, present-form verbs, particles, and adjectives. Grammar is introduced and practiced in innovative and interesting ways with a variety of learning styles in mind. Cultural information in the course will teach the student about Japanese culture, people, society, and history.
DoDEA Foreign Language Standards
In this course, the student will learn to do the following, at the beginning level.
- Spell words in Japanese letters, hiragana and katakana, and pronounce words appropriately.
- Greet someone in Japanese.
- Talk about days, dates and time.
- Talk about and describe themselves and others.
- Express likes and dislikes.
- Talk about their town and places they go.
- Ask and respond to simple questions on days, date and time, people, places, etc.
- Express meaning of possession, direction, time, means, etc.
- Talk about their families.
- Talk about the weather.
- Talk about foods and mealtimes.
- Talk about their hobbies and free time activities.
- Talk about their school day.
- Learn about Japanese culture and society and compare them with American culture and society.
- Introduction to the Course
- Semester 1 Exam
- Semester 2 Exam
The textbook in this course is digital and can be located inside of the online course.
Recommended English-Japanese Japanese-English Dictionary
- Title: The Starter Oxford Japanese Dictionary (Paperback)
- ISBN: 0198601972
- Editors: Jonathan Bunt and Gillian Hall
- Publisher: Oxford University Press
- Edition/Year: 1st edition/2000