MUG301: Mus App (2014-2015)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Music
COURSE TITLE: Music Appreciation
CALENDAR YEAR: 2014-2015
GRADE LEVEL: 9-12
COURSE LENGTH: 18 weeks
Major Concepts/Content: This one-semester course introduces students to the elements, instrumentation, and historical periods of music. Students will learn the significance of surroundings and time periods and how they both influenced the music of the day. Students will listen to and evaluate several types of music, and will be assessed through projects, presentations, and exams on the knowledge and understanding of music.
DoDEA Music Standards
Upon completion of the Music Appreciation course, students should be able to:
- Identify basic musical elements.
- Analyze elements of music and compare and contrast elements in different musical genres.
- Identify key musical time periods and the characteristics of music from those periods.
- Identify significant composers and musicians from different time periods.
- Describe different instrumentations in music.
- Develop critiques of musical pieces based on information in the course.
- Module 1: Basic Elements
- Section A – Music Notation
- Section B – Creating Melody
- Section C – Expression and Listening
- Module 2: Music Time Periods
- Section A – Medieval Era
- Section B – Renaissance Era
- Section C – Baroque Era
- Section D – Classical Era
- Section E – Romantic Era
- Section F – Twentieth Century
- Section G – Popular Music
- Module 3: Musical Instruments
- Section A – String Instruments
- Section B – Woodwind Instruments
- Section C – Brass Instruments
- Section D – Percussion Instruments
- Module 4: Listening
- Section A – Quality Assurance
- Section B – Listening Preferences
- Title: Discover Music
- Author: Jeremy Yudkin
- ISBN 978-0-13-091578-8
- Publisher Prentice Hall PTR
- Publication Date November 19, 2003
- Binding Trade Paper
- Type Print
- Price $65.40