CTI4010T: GmeTech1 (2014-2015)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Virtual School Program
COURSE TITLE: Gaming Technology I
CALENDAR YEAR: 2014-2015
GRADE LEVEL: 9-12
COURSE LENGTH: 18 weeks
This course will introduce students to the basic skills necessary for game design. They will study the various games in the industry, analyzing their approach in design and development. The student will explore the processes and art of making game elements like story, levels, sound, user interfaces, and music. This analysis will include an orientation to the gaming market and innovative techniques impact on it. Finally, the student will merge all these elements into a functional prototype showing their understanding of the game design process.
CT1401: Gaming Technology I Course Description
Upon completion of this course, you will:
- Be able to explain the different types of games.
- Build analytical thinking towards usage of game elements.
- Develop game play innovation principles.
- Express ideas clearly in writing.
- Integrate storytelling into game play design.
- Explore the requirements for visually appealing user interfaces.
- Explore the use of sound in games.
- Interpret and apply data from original game design documents.
- Build a working prototype of a game using Multimedia Fusion.
The course will review many topics, including:
Module I: Course Overview: Introduction to Game Design
- Section A- History
- Section B- Player Elements
- Section C- Genres
- Section D- Planning and Organizing
Module II: Game Elements
- Section A- Elements of Game Play
- Section B- Setting Goals
- Section C- Platforms
- Section D- Game Generations
- Section E- Player Modes
Modes Module III: Creating Content
- Section A- The Story
- Section B- Defining Characters
- Section C- Development
- Section D: Virtual Reality Development
Module IV: Game Play
- Section A- Game Play Mechanics and Rules
- Section B- Levels
Module V: Interface
- Section A- Features
- Section B- Types
- Section C- Platform Specific Interfaces
- Section D- Genre Specific Interfaces
- Section E- Creating Ambience
Module VI: Audio
- Section A- Sound Effects
- Section B- Music
- Section C- Creating Ambience with Audio
- Section D- Putting it all Together
- Multimedia Fusion 2 (2-D Game Engine)
- Audacity (Audio Editor and Recorder)
Textbook: There is no textbook required for this course. All of the instructional content is available online within the course.