FLJ602: Japanese V (2011-2012)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Foreign Language Program
COURSE TITLE: Japanese V
CALENDAR YEAR: 2011-2012
GRADE LEVEL: 11-12
COURSE LENGTH: 36 weeks
SUGGESTED PREPARATION: Japanese IV
Major Concepts/Content: The foreign language V courses provide special projects and activities for independent study. Students read and write reports on the different classical works written in the host nation/target language. Students are encouraged to write original stories, poems, and essays in the target language. They also view films, videos, plays, filmstrip/cassette sets, and other materials about the host nation’s culture, spoken in the target language. When using the computer for writing skills, compositions, and independent study, first drafts are typed, polished, corrected, and modified before printing the final, finished product. Students are encouraged to interact and use the language with native speakers.
Major Instructional Activities: Instructional activities will be provided as the teacher meets with individual students to discuss progress problems, and assess material assigned.
Major Evaluative Techniques: Students will be required to pass tests included with the text, if available. Otherwise teacher-made tests will be utilized. Listening to and relating in one’s own words the contents of specific radio broadcasts or listening comprehension tapes on literary works will also be a part of the final assignment of students.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of the foreign language V course, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of native speakers in various situations with accuracy and ease.
- Interpret media broadcasts (TV and radio) such as lectures and films.
- Distinguish among the various dialects of the target language.
- Speak in the target language with fluency and ease.
- Select for reading, technical materials written in the target language related to individual interests.
- Read for knowledge in the target language.
- Analyze and interpret various forms of literature in the target language.
- Read for enjoyment in the target language.
- Write thoughts and ideas in the target language.
- Organize notes in the target language.
- Write research papers in the target language.
- Write creative selections in the target language.
- Demonstrate the ability to function within the value system of the target language culture.
- Identify world-renowned authors, characters, or other works from the countries of the target language.