PEL3010T: Life Sports (2014-2015)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Virtual School Program
COURSE TITLE: Lifetime Sports (Spring)
CALENDAR YEAR: 2014-2015
GRADE LEVEL: 9-12
COURSE LENGTH: 18 weeks
SUGGESTED PREPARATION: PE-Personal Fitness
The Lifetime Sports class reinforces the importance of physical activity to one’s health and in doing so, introduces students to various lifetime sports and recreational activities as fun and socially engaging options one might pursue to meet physical activity guidelines. Developing sport skill competency and understanding of key tactical aspects of game play/competition are associated with participation and therefore, are major focal points throughout the class.
Along with monitoring their daily physical activity, students will set their own skill development goals, identify and engage in appropriate practice strategies, and monitor their own progress toward skill competency. As in all physical education classes, safety and injury prevention will also be emphasized throughout the course.
Major Evaluative Techniques:
Multiple assessment strategies are used to enable students to develop their motor skills and concepts. Examples of assessment tools are checklists, written summaries, authentic performance tasks, activity logs, selected and constructed response tests, and product assessment. It is important that the results (raw data/scores) obtained through the performance tests specialized motor skills are used to determine appropriate personal goals and student achievement of personal goals and not as grading criteria for this course. Students are graded on what they know and are able to do as a result of the learning that has occurred during the course.
DoDEA Lifetime Sports Standards
As a result of successfully completing this course, you will:
- Gain knowledge about how physical activity provides opportunities for self expression, social development & interaction
- Build competency in movement forms that may facilitate desire to participate in & benefit from a lifetime of physical activity
- Understand that balancing daily physical activity & proper nutrition contributes to lifelong fitness and wellness
- Module One: Increasing Physical Activity Through Lifetime Sports
- Module Two : Dual/Individual Sports
- Module Three: Team Sports
- Module Four : Performance Sports
- Module Five : Tactical Sports
- Module Six : Contemporary Sports
Required Materials/ Textbook
There is no textbook required for this course. All of the instructional content is available online within the course.
The following materials are required for successful completion of this course:
- Access to a computer with various productivity software
- Internet acess
- Appropriate fitness training attire
Course Notes: Course can be adapted as required for students with disabilities