FLF3010T: Fren I (2014-2015)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Virtual School Program
COURSE TITLE: French I
CALENDAR YEAR: 2014-2015
GRADE LEVEL: 9-11
COURSE LENGTH: 36 weeks
This is a beginning level course that will introduce the student to a variety of areas of language learning. In this course, the student will learn listening, speaking, reading and writing skills through activities that are based on pedagogically proven methods of foreign language instruction.
Throughout the course, students learn to express themselves using an ever increasing vocabulary, present-tense verbs, articles, and adjectives. Grammar is introduced and practiced in innovative and interesting ways with a variety of learning styles in mind.
Culture is interspersed throughout the course in an attempt to help the learner focus on the francophone world and their culture, people, geographical locations and histories.
By the end of Level I in secondary school, students understand and present short, simple conversations and narratives within highly predictable and familiar contexts. When the text is enhanced by visual cues, students read short texts with comprehension. Students comprehend and produce vocabulary related to everyday objects and actions on familiar topics. They can interactively use short sentences, learned words, phrases, simple questions, and commands when speaking and writing, relying on visuals to enhance oral and written comprehension. When speaking, students imitate the use of culturally appropriate vocabulary, idiomatic expressions, and nonverbal behaviors modeled by the teacher or other authentic role models such as found through authentic video, TV programs, guest speakers, simple literature, and the internet.
Throughout the course, students will
- Greet others in French as well as talk about him/herself
- Talk about days, months, and seasons
- Talk about the weather and how to dress for it
- Tell time and identify colors
- Express simple actions in the present tense
- Conjugation of irregular verbs in the present tense
- To talk about their town and places in a town and things they do in those places
- To talk about their family members
- To talk about foods and mealtimes
- To talk about their routine and activities they are involved in as well as review some school vocabulary and expand upon what they know in these areas
- Module 1: Bonjour
- Module 2: Le Jour et La Date
- Module 3: Le Temps
- Module 4: L’Heure
- Module 5: Les Couleurs
- Module 6: Les Endroits
- Module 7: La Famille
- Module 8: La Cuisine
- Module 9: Les Passetemps
- Module 10: L'Ecole
Recording software provided through local school
Textbook: The textbook in this course is digital and can be located inside of the online course.
The DoDEA adopted textbook is recommended as a resource, but is optional to the course.
- Title: Discovering French (Bleu)
- Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
- ISBN: 9780618035045
Additional Materials: Internet Access, Headset, Microphone, French-English Dictionary