FLF615U: AP FrLang (2013-2014)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Foreign Language Program
COURSE TITLE: AP French Lang
CALENDAR YEAR: 2013-2014
GRADE LEVEL: 9-12
COURSE LENGTH: 36 weeks
SUGGESTED PREPARATION: French I, French II, French III, French IV
About the Program:
The AP French Language Course is a college level course, conducted in French, which prepares students to communicate proficiently through three modes: interpretive (receptive communication), presentational (1-way productive communication), and interpersonal (2-way interactive communication). This course emphasizes the five domains of learning found in DoDEA Foreign Language Standards: Communication, Cultures, Connections, Comparisons, and Communities. This course is interactive in nature with the expectation that students be actively involved in all assignments and projects. The academic rigor for this course is high. Assessment of all domains of learning will be conducted. Students completing this course and taking the AP exam will receive weighted grades. Students are expected to take the AP exam at the end of this course.
Major Concepts/Content: AP French Language is equivalent to fifth and sixth semester college work (3rd year college) such as found in university level French Composition and Conversation courses. The 5 domains of learning (Communication, Cultures, Connections, Comparisons, and Communities) involve the skills of listening, speaking, reading, writing, and developing cultural awareness appropriate to this level of coursework. Students will gain strong proficiency and integrate their language skills. Authentic materials and resources are used along with the required text for AP French Language.
Course Objectives: By the end of this course, the successful AP French Language student will:
- Demonstrate strong communication skills (Pre-Advanced on ACTFL scale) in the interpersonal, presentational, and interpretive modes
- Demonstrate a strong command of French linguistic skills (Pre-Advanced on ACTFL scale) to support communication (accuracy/fluency)
- Comprehend French (Advanced level or above on ACTFL scale) that is intended for native speakers in a variety of settings
- Produce French (Pre-Advanced on ACTFL scale) comprehensible to native speakers in a variety of settings
- Acquire information from authentic sources in French
- Demonstrate an awareness of some cultural perspectives, practices, and products of Francophone peoples.
Course Notes: Weighted - Must Take AP Exam (+ indicated Weighted)