HLH3010T: Hlth Edu (2012-2013)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Virtual School Program
COURSE TITLE: Health Education (Fall/Spring)
CALENDAR YEAR: 2012-2013
GRADE LEVEL: 9-12
COURSE LENGTH: 18 weeks
Major Concepts/Content: This course will help students develop the knowledge and skills they need to make healthy decisions that allow them to stay active, safe and informed. The lessons and activities are designed to introduce the student to important aspects of the main types of health: emotional and mental, social and consumer, and physical. Among other topics, students will explore nutrition, understanding and avoiding disease, first aid and CPR, and human sexuality. Students will find out about the components of a healthy lifestyle and ways to approach making healthy choices and decisions.
DoDEA Health Education Standards
After completing the course, students will be able to:
- Introduce students to concepts and applications of the main types of health: mental and emotional, social and consumer, and physical.
- Introduce methods and strategies for informed decision-making for healthy life choices.
- Present opportunities for students to apply their value system to decisions concerning mental, emotional, and physical health.
- Introduce and assess communication skills that demonstrate healthy choices with respect for self, family, and others.
- Reinforce resources provided by online sources, parents, friends, and community members that will assist in making healthy life choices.
- Getting Started
- Personal and Community Health
- Mental Health
- Nutrition and Physical Activity
- Alcohol, Tobacco, and other Drugs (ATOD)
- Family Living and Human Sexuality
- Safety and Injury Prevention
- Final Portfolio
Lifetime Health: Student Textbook with online student edition with CD-ROM
ISBN Number (Student Edition) H646146; CD-ROM - H37863X
Publisher: Holt-McDougal; Houghton-Mifflin