ARK401: Printmaking (2012-2013)
CURRICULUM PROGRAM: Visual Arts
COURSE TITLE: Printmaking
CALENDAR YEAR: 2012-2013
GRADE LEVEL: 9-12
COURSE LENGTH: 36 weeks
SUGGESTED PREPARATION: Fundamentals of Art
Major Concepts/Content: The printmaking course is designed to offer students the opportunity to apply the fundamentals of art to various printmaking processes including relief (linoleum and woodcuts), stencil (paper and silkscreen, lithography, intaglio (etching and engraving), and calligraphic printing. Students gain knowledge of the materials and equipment that are unique to printmaking.
Major Instructional Activities: Instructional activities provide practice in using various printmaking tools, materials, and equipment. Students will create a variety of projects using different printmaking processes. Visits to art galleries, studios, and museums will be included when feasi
Major Evaluative Techniques: Students will be required to demonstrate the proper care and use of tools, materials, and equipment used in printmaking. Student projects will be evaluated for originality, craftsmanship, effort, time utilization, and quality with consideration given to the individual or students’ talent, experience, and/or limitations. Both written and oral tests will be used to evaluate knowledge of course content.
Course Objectives: Upon completion of the printmaking course, students should be able to:
- Create Works of Art
- Produce prints using a variety of processes, e.g., relief, stencil, intaglio, and calligraphic techniques.
- Demonstrate the ability to use inks, tools, and equipment that are unique to the printing processes.
- Demonstrate the method for numbering and recording an edition of prints.
- Distinguish prints produced by various processes.
- Identify aspects of good craftsmanship in selected prints.
- Discuss the historical importance of printmaking.
- Identify artists and their significant works in the art of printmaking.
- Relate various printmaking techniques to those used in industry, advertisement, fashion, and other commercial aspects of modern living.
- Summarize the development of printmaking.
- Identify career options in the field of printmaking.
- Distinguish significant characteristics between different printing methods.
- Analyze and critique prints according to the elements and principles of design.
- Assist in the selection of prints for exhibition.