Social Science Activities
- Model U.S. Senate
- March 18 – 22, 2013 | Grades 10-12 MUSS is a unique simulation of the American congressional process in the United States Senate. High school students are assigned to play the roles of senators and other senior members of government. The activity will be held in Raunheim, Germany, from March 18 – 22, 2013. Student registration: 375€ covers the cost of lodging, meals and materials.
- All-Europe Academic Bowl
- January 30 - February 1, 2013 Each high school sends one academic team to compete in a tournament format patterned after the "College Academic Bowl." The team of four answers questions reflecting a broad high school curriculum to include the subjects of math, science, social studies, history, culture, language arts, and literature. Held annually, the competition for 2013 will be from January 30 to February 1 in Hambachtal, Germany. There is no registration fee. Meals and lodging are at student's expense.
- All Europe Culinary Faire
- Baumholder High School, Germany | Feb. 12-14, 2013 | Grades 10-12 Each high school with a Culinary Arts Program will follow the Competition Rules provided by ProStart, the adopted DoDEA Culinary Curriculum. Teams consisting of 4 students and 1 alternate will demonstrate their culinary knowledge, skills, and creative abilities necessary to obtain employment in the hospitality industry. A school team will work together to create and present a meal consisting of a starter, entrée (including a provided protein, vegetable and starch) and dessert. Teams may prepare by working with industry mentors to formulate a menu and select at least two cooking methods. Teams will compete in knife skills and quiz bowl and students may participate in individual events such as napkin folding, cake decorating, and apple carving. A fine dining experience is also planned. The Faire will be held at Baumholder High School, Germany, February 12-14, 2013. A registration fee of between 150 -180 Euro will be charged per student to include most meals and lodging. Transportation will be provided by DoDDS.
- DoDDS-Europe Language Institute
- TBD | Grades 8-12 The DoDDS-Europe Language Institute offers participants a rigorous, immersive language experience in the language that they are currently studying, while evening enrichment offerings enable students to explore other languages and cultures. Event: TBD
Student registration: € 160 for lodging and meals.
- International Student Leadership Institute
- March 3 – March 8, 2013 | Grades 10-11 This activity brings together students from European and DoDDS high schools to discuss and practice methods associated with leadership skills. ISLI is held at the Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler Youth Hostel, in Germany, from March 3 – March 8, 2013. Organized and run by a Board of Directors composed of German, Dutch, Czech, and American teachers and students. Host nation corporations, European schools, and DoDDS-Europe sponsor this activity. Student cost: €215 covers lodging, meals and materials.
- Junior Leadership Seminar
- October 21 – 26, 2012 | Grade 7 Junior Leadership Seminar is a 6-day event designed to identify and develop leadership skills for use in school. JLS will be held in Oberwesel, Germany from October 21-26, 2012.
Student registration: € 140 covers lodging, meals, and material expenses.
- Berlin Seminar
- February 11 – 15, 2013 | Class of 2013 Throughout DoDDS-E, Seniors only are invited to apply for participation in this event. It is held from February 11 – 15, 2013, at the Konrad-Adenauer Stiftung in Berlin. American and German students work together to achieve cultural understanding, using Berlin as a case study.
Student registration: € 100 covers the cost of lodging, meals and materials.
- Future Educators Association
- January 39 – February 1, 2013 | Grades 9-12FEA is for students who are interested in a career in education. Leading educators from DoDDS-Europe and the United States present teaching and learning strategies in a seminar setting. FEA European Conference will be held from January 29 – February 1, 2013, at the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort in Garmisch, Germany.
Student registration: $315.00 covers lodging, meals and materials.
Math and Sciences
- May 12 – 17, 2013 | Grades 9-11STEMposium is a weeklong experience in problem-solving and engineering. The event is designed to introduce selected DoDDS-Europe students, from grades 9 to 11, to a real-world engineering scenario which requires the application of science, technology and math. Content area experts will present information, mentor and provide hands-on, practical experiences targeted at solving a multi-faceted, relevant and dynamic problem. The goal of the STEMposium is to use practicing researchers, scientists and engineers to model Century 21 Skills such as team dynamics, adaptability, problem-solving, complex communications, systems thinking and self-management/self-direction. The activity will be held at Heidelberg Youth Hostel, Germany, May 12-17, 2013. The student registration fee of about 250 Euro will cover food, lodging and supplies and equipment. Transportation will be provided by DoDDS. Click here to see 2012 STEMposium highlights.
- Math Counts | Grades 6-8
- March 28 - 29, 2013 At the school level, students are coached in problem solving and math skills for this national program. Students will compete at the School, Chapter, and State levels, with State finalists advancing to Nationals. The State Competition is scheduled to take place March 28 - 29, 2013, in Wiesbaden, Germany, and the National Competition will be held during the month of May on a stateside location. Student registration fee: DoDDS-Europe pays the registration fee for every DoDDS-E school to compete. State qualifiers are responsible for their lodging and meal expenses at the State Competition.
- Junior Science & Humanities Symposium
- March 4 - 6, 2013 | Grades 9-12 JSHS is for students who are interested in STEM: science, technology, engineering or mathematics. Students work on original research projects at their schools and then compete in the DoDDS-Europe Regional for scholarships and awards. JSHS is held March 4 - 6, 2013, in Reidstadt-Goddelau, Germany. The 50th National Junior Science and Humanities Symposium will be held May 2-6, 2012, in the Washington, D.C. area. Student registration: $100 covers lodging and meals.
- Future Business Leaders of America
- March 25-29, 2013 | Grades 7-12 FBLA students strive to develop personal and professional skills that can be utilized as career supportive competencies. The Spring Leadership Conference March 25-29, 2013, in Garmisch, Germany, features seminars on public speaking, leadership techniques, organizational skills, education/career guidance and competitions ranging from audio visual presentations to web design. At the event local chapters elect the new State FBLA Officers and prepare for the summer FBLA National Conference. Attendance at the Spring Leadership Conference is highly recommended for aspiring Local and State Officer Candidates. Student registration fee: $275.00 covers meals, lodging, and materials.
- JROTC Drill Competition
- Army: TBD | Grades 9-12 The cadets compete in two general categories of Regulation Drill and Exhibition Drill with judging in 7 different events. There are no registration fees for these events.
Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps , or JROTC, is designed to teach high school students the value of citizenship, leadership, service to the community, personal responsibility, and a sense of accomplishment, while instilling in them self-esteem, teamwork, and self-discipline. Its focus is reflected in its mission statement, "To motivate young people to be better citizens." It prepares high school students for responsible leadership roles while making them aware of their rights, responsibilities, and privileges as American citizens. The program is a stimulus for promoting graduation from high school, and it provides instruction and rewarding opportunities that will benefit the student, community, and nation.
The programs of three services, Army, Air Force and Navy, are offered at 25 high schools in DoDDS-Europe. Breakdown by service follows:
Please contact your school's front office for more information.
Contact HeidelbergPHV.JROTC001D@eu.dodea.edu with questions about JROTC.