DoDEA OSS: Helpful Lists: Personal Security
- Always carry an ID with you.
- Learn some of the local language.
- When answering the phone, use the local language and customary greeting.
- Know important phone numbers and how to use the phone in your host country.
- Be polite.
- DON'T BE NOISY!
- Don't call attention to yourself or your friends.
- When going out to play, tell your parents where you will be, use a buddy system.
- Stay safe. Use only main streets. Don't walk down dark, poorly lighted streets, or secluded alleys.
- Walk facing the flow of vehicle traffic.
- If out on the street and you feel threatened, go to a safe building such as a police station,
fire station, hospital or bank (safe havens).
- Don't go anywhere with a stranger, even if he says it's okay with your parents.
- Don't discuss personal information with strangers or in public.
- Know and remember important phone numbers like your home phone number, the local emergency
numbers, and your parents cell phone numbers.
- Don't hide a house key anywhere and do not let anyone into your house without your parents' permission.
- Stay away from suspicious packages and tell an adult immediately.
Back to Helpful Lists Page