Parents are encouraged to ensure that their children attend classes daily unless the absence is absolutely necessary. Do your best to ensure that you contact the school at 754-9308 or 754-9309 to inform the school of your child’s absence and reason. When the teacher is made aware of the student’s absence it helps them anticipate the child’s need. Upon returning to school, a note stating the reason for the absence must be given to the teacher. Students should not arrive on the school grounds more than five (5) minutes before the start of school. Students arriving to school after 7:45 a.m. are considered tardy and must be signed in at the front office of their campus by a parent/guardian.
An excused absence is one in which the student will be given make-up privileges and credit. Excused absences will be granted for the following:
- Medical, dental, or legal appointments which cannot be arranged other than school time
- Family emergency (severe illness or death)
- School sponsored activities such as athletic contests, music and drama programs, and study trips
- Travel when accompanied by parents or school personnel
- A note is required from the student's sponsor following any absence, with the exception of school-sponsored activities. The note is to include the student's name, date of absence, sponsor's name, and telephone number (home or office), reason for the absence and the sponsor's signature. Students must submit a note to the attendance office upon their return to school. Otherwise, the absence remains unexcused, and students will not be granted make-up privileges for classes missed.
- A telephone call does NOT substitute for a written note.
- Pre-Arranged Absences and Work
- If a student is being left in the care of someone other than the sponsor, then the school nurse must have the contact information for emergency treatment and notification. The sponsor will provide documentation for any pre-arranged absence. The pre-arranged absence form must be completed and signed by the student's teachers and sponsor. It is the student's responsibility to get assignments prior to departure and to turn in the completed work upon return.
- Make-up Work
- For an excused absence, the student is responsible for obtaining and completing make-up work. Students are expected to complete missed assignments in a timely manner upon return to school (refer to individual teacher class expectations for specific policies.)
An unexcused absence denies the student the right to make-up work for credit. The following will be considered unexcused:
- Missing the bus
- Loss of school bus, and/or base/post privileges
- Non-school sponsored activities
- Absences without any explanation from the sponsor
All students are expected to be in class prepared to work when the bell rings. A student arriving after attendance has been submitted must provide a note from the sponsor to be excused. An unexcused tardy or absence denies the student the right to make up the missed work for credit. Excessive Tardiness disrupts the classroom and will result in discipline.