Department of Education Military Family Resources
Research & Reports
- Tufts University Institute for Applied Research in Youth Development
- Youth-Nex: The University of VA Center to Promote Effective Youth Development
- UMass response to HIDOE Addendum to the DODEA Study
- Addendum Response from the Hawaii Department of Education (2012)
- Critique of "The Performance of Hawaii's Military Impacted Public Schools: A Comparative Perspective" (2012)
- Performance of Hawaii's Public Schools: A Comparative Perspective Report: (2011)
DoDEA contracted with the University of Massachusetts (UMASS) in 2010 to conduct a study of whether Hawaii provided an appropriate education to school-age children of military families residing on military installations in Hawaii. As part of the requirements of the study, UMASS provided a comparative analysis of the quality of education provided by the Hawaii public schools with that of four other similarly situated public school districts: Anchorage School District, Anchorage Alaska (serving Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson); Clover Park School District, Lakewood, Washington (serving Joint Base Lewis-McChord); Travis Unified School District, Fairfield, California (serving Travis Air Force Base) and San Diego Unified School District, San Diego, California (serving Naval Station San Diego and Marine Corps Air Station Miramar).
- The UMASS Report concluded:
- Hawaii is generally comparable to the other school districts studied as measured by student performance, educational programs, and services.
- The study found that Hawaii, and the comparable districts are home to some excellent as well as challenged public schools.
- There is no basis to determine that Hawaii is not providing an appropriate education for school age dependents who reside on military installations in Hawaii.
- Reports to Congress:
Information for Educators
Education & Communication with Parents
Military Life & Culture
- Exploring Military Culture
- Other Online References:
- Supporting Military Kids During Deployment
An article by the Minnesota Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction
- The Voice of a Military Child
A Minnesota Student media presentation on her life as a military child and the deployment/return of her Dad
- The Emotional Cycle of deployment- from a military perspective
An Article by: LTC Simon H. Pincus, USA, MC, COL Robert House, USAR, MC, LTC Joseph Christenson, USA, MC, and CAPT Lawrence E. Adler, MC, USNR-R
- Operation Military Kids-Study Circles
Minnesota video on military families and deployment.
Grants & Funding