A Query is a method to find a group of Records. This is a dynamic list. This means the results may vary each time you run the query.
A Snapshot is a method to save a list of students, staff, courses, rooms etc. This is a static list. This means the results stay the same each time the snapshot is viewed. You can, however, add or delete items from this static list.
How to Create a Query
(Tables will vary depending on the type of query you are creating)
- Click on the Student tab
- From the Options menu choose Query
- Choose the Table (Category)
- Choose the field or Fields that you need
- Choose the Operator from the drop down list
- Type in the Value
- Click the Add button
If it’s necessary to add additional values, repeat steps 1-7 using the And or Or button to the right.
- Click the Search based on drop down list and select the group of students that you want to run the query against. Ex. All Active Students
- If you want to save this query. Click Save As
- In the Save As box, be sure to give your Query a meaningful name.
- If you would like the Query to show up as a choice in your Filter menu check Save as filter. Do this for Queries you will often use.
- By checking Move to top of my list, adds this filter to the top of your list of saved filters. Only check this if you want this to be your default filter.
- Click Save
- Click Search to activate the filter.
To use a saved Query
- Click on Options then Query
- Click the Select Button (bottom Right)
- Select the radio button next to your new query
- Click Use
- Click Search
To use a saved Filter
- Click on the Filter Icon to the top right of your screen and select the filter.
How to Create a Snapshot
- Click the Student top tab (for Staff – click on the Staff top tab).
- Select records that you want to include in your snapshot. You can also use a Query to find the records.
- You can verify the # of records selected by looking at the displayaabove the headings.
- From the Options menu choose Show Selected. (This will display your chosen records.)
- From the Options menu choose Snapshots.
- Click New.
- Give your snapshot a meaningful name.
- Save as filter if you plan to use this snapshot often
- Select Move to top to add it to the top of the list.
*Only check this if you want this to be your default filter.
- Select Current List
- Click Save.
- Click Use to view your Snapshot.
- To create a New Snapshot from two other Snapshots, select Snapshot Combination. Repeat steps 4-9.
- Select Union to get a combined list of students that are in both snapshots.
- Select Intersect to get a list of students whose name appears in BOTH snapshots.
- Use Difference if you want to include the students that snapshots. are in the 1st snapshot, but not the 2nd snapshot.
To Use a Saved Snapshot
- Click on Options then Snapshot.
- Select the radio button next to your new snapshot.
- Click Use.
Modify/Manage Snapshots for Individual Records
- To add a student to a Snapshot list, click the
- Search for the record that you want to include in your snapshot.
- Select the record
- Student tab (for Staff – click on the Staff tab)
- Click the Snapshots side-tab. A list of Snapshots the student already belongs to appears
- To add the student to another Snapshot List go to the Options menu and select Add.
- From the pick list of Snapshots, select the one(s) you would like to add the student to.
- Click OK.
- To remove a student from a Snapshot list,
- Select the snapshot that you want to remove the student from.
- Click on Options – Delete
- Click OK