For Immediate Release — February 18, 2005 | HQ
Cindy Gibson: DDESS, Public Affairs Officer | (678) 364-8044
ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA — February 18, 2005 — DoDEA announced today a number of leadership moves and organizational changes that will be effective at the beginning of School Year 2005-2006. The moves are routine personnel changes driven by retirements and moves scheduled under the 5-year rule. Tenure for DoDDS Superintendents and Principals is governed by a 5-year internal rotation policy.
The Leadership changes for DoDEA include the following:
- Dr. Thomas Ellinger, Superintendent, DoDDS Mediterranean District will retire at the end of the current
- school year after 37 years of distinguished service.
- Dr. Archie Bates, currently Superintendent of the DoDDS Kaiserslautern District, will assume leadership of the DoDDS Mediterranean District.
- Mrs. Lawanna H. Mangleburg, currently Superintendent of the New York/Virginia DDESS Schools, will assume leadership of the DoDDS Kaiserslautern District.
- DDESS will consolidate the supervision of two districts under one District Superintendent. Dr. Bruce Jeter, Superintendent for Puerto Rico/Cuba will assume the additional responsibility of leadership for the New York/Virginia DDESS Schools. This added responsibility will not impact the current operation and organization of the districts.
- Dr. Archie Bates is currently Superintendent of the Kaiserslautern District. His professional career includes teaching at Fort Dearborn Elementary School in Chicago, Landstuhl Elementary and Junior High School, Business Manager of the Mannheim schools complex, Assistant Principal of Kitzingen Elementary/Junior High School, Principal at Pforzheim Elementary School and Vilseck High School, and Assistant Superintendent in Okinawa, Japan.
- Mrs. Lawanna H. Mangleburg is currently the District Superintendent of the New York/Virginia Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Schools (DDESS), a position she has held since 1996. From 1988 to 1996, she served as Superintendent/Principal of the Dahlgren ( Virginia ) School System. In 2001, she was named the DoDEA Superintendent of the Year.
- Dr. Bruce Jeter is currently District Superintendent of the DDESS Puerto Rico District and DoDDS-Cuba, where he has served since December 2003. He served as superintendent in Korea from November 2000 to December 2003. He was assistant superintendent in Puerto Rico from 1998 to 2000. Dr. Jeter graduated from the Federal Executive Institute in July 2004.
In announcing the moves, DoDDS-Europe Director, Ms. Diana Ohman commented, "The leadership changes allow us to bring a fresh perspective and expertise to our schools in various geographic areas. Their backgrounds and experiences will help our educators, parents, and military communities in continuing to provide a quality education to students of military families."
DDESS Director, Dr. Elaine Beraza, urged communities to work closely with new leaders when they arrive next summer. "I invite commanders, parents, employees, and students to welcome each of these leaders and work closely with them as they continue to emphasize a strong focus on teaching, learning, and student achievement" said Dr. Beraza.