Minimum Age Requirements
DoD dependents under the NDSP follow the same criteria as DoDEA policy for entrance into kindergarten and first grade.
- It is DoDEA policy that a child must reach age 5 or 6 years old for entrance into kindergarten and first grade respectively.
- For a school following the Northern Hemisphere school calendar which typically starts in July, August or September, the child must reach age 5 by 1 September of the enrolling school year to the US equivalent of kindergarten or must reach age 6 by 1 September for the enrolling school year for first grade.
- For a school following the Southern Hemisphere school calendar which typically starts in January, February or March, the child must reach age 5 by 1 February of the enrolling school year to the US equivalent of kindergarten or must reach age 6 by 1 February for the enrolling school year for first grade.
- NDSP will fund only one year prior to the equivalent of US first grade (kindergarten). In schools utilizing a British curriculum, the equivalent of US kindergarten is Year 1.
Eligibility for Non-DoD Schools Program (NDSP)
The following conditions must exist to be eligible for Non-DoD Schools Program support:
- Sponsor must be a military service member serving on active duty and stationed overseas on Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders, or
A civilian employee of the Department of Defense who is employed on a permanent full time basis, assigned overseas, and is either a citizen or a national of the United States;
- Sponsors must be authorized to transport dependents* to or from an overseas area at government expense, and
- Sponsors must be provided an allowance for living quarters in that area.
- Sponsors must be assigned to a location outside the commuting area of a DoD school.
*School-aged dependents are defined as an individual:
- Who is the child, stepchild, adopted child, or ward of a DoD sponsor, residing with the sponsor, and is eligible for other command sponsorship services, postal services privileges, and
Who meets the host nation age requirement for kindergarten, and
- Has not completed secondary school and will not reach his or her 21st birthday by September 1 of the current school year (or February 1 in the southern hemisphere); or
- Between 3 and 5 years of age with developmental delays and disabilities may be eligible for services if they meet the DoDEA special education criteria.
For more information please submit any requests to NDSP.Administration@hq.dodea.edu