NDSP: Education Related Expenses
What expenses are reimbursable and which are not?
The Education Allowance, set by the Department of State Standardized Regulations (DSSR), is designed to assist in defraying those costs necessary to obtain educational services which are ordinarily provided without charge by the public schools in the United States. The AT POST Rate provides the educational allowance for the specific location In those cases where adequate schools are not available at the sponsor’s post, the DSSR Away from Post educational allowance provides for the cost of room and board and periodic transportation between the sponsor’s post and school.
The Non-DoD Schools Program pays one-time fees or special costs (i.e., building and maintenance fees, admission fees, registration, etc.) , if listed on the school’s fee schedule and only once during a sponsor’s tour of duty. Exceptions apply when:
- The non-DoD school attended does not offer the next grade, e.g., elementary to middle or middle to high school, or the appropriate program;
- The non-DoD school is not able to accommodate the needs of the child and recommends another school, or;
- The sponsor is transferred.
|Allowable Expenses||Non-Allowable Expenses|
|Note: Costs for the education of dependents of DoD sponsors assigned to or employed by the DoD Security Assistance Program (FMS, SAO, MDAO) will be funded by the sponsor's organization. However, approval of educational programs and supplementary education requests are DoDEA's responsibility. Non-DoD Schools Program policies apply.|
- Parents electing to provide home-schooling instruction rather than enrolling their child in a local school must:
- Become aware of and comply with the Host Nation requirements for home schooling;
- Select or develop a home-based education program and complete the Home-Based Education Plan;
- Enroll in NDSP.
|Note: Your dependent's maximum DSSR entitlement for Home Based Education is: $5,700 for Grades K-8 and $7,700 Grades 9-12).|
Invoices and Reimbursement
Invoices for authorized expenses should be submitted by one method only to include:
|Note: Allow thirty to thirty-five days for processing purposes. In most cases, payment will be made by the nearest Department of Defense or Department of State disbursing office.|
Sponsors are responsible for notifying NDSP if a dependent changes schools; there is a Permanent Change of Duty Station (PCS); Early Dependent Return; etc. Costs incurred due to lack of notification by the sponsor to NDSP will be the sponsor's responsibility.
*For Special Education DSSR rates, please contact the NDSP HQ Team.