Transportation "At Post" - school at duty location
Transportation expenses may be paid or reimbursed up to the DSSR rate for the duty location. If the local school provides transportation, the school or transportation provider may submit invoices directly to NDSP. When transportation is provided by the command, no POV mileage reimbursement is allowed. If the school does not provide transportation or the sponsor chooses to use a Personal Occupancy Vehicle (POV), sponsors may claim reimbursement for local transportation expenses separately. Only one round trip per day is allowed; that is, one trip from residence to school and return. The one way distance must exceed one mile. POV mileage reimbursement is completed by submitting the Standard Form 1164 - POV Personal Occupancy Vehicle. No other forms are required. For mileage rates use the Defense Travel Management Office Mileage Rates. If the local transportation company/provider is paid by the sponsor, the sponsor may submit the NDSP Sponsor Claim for Reimbursement, invoice from provider and proof of payment to obtain reimbursement.
Transportation for Boarding School Students Using the DSSR “Away from Post” Rate:
- NDSP will fund transportation from the duty station to school once at the beginning of the school year and transportation from school to the duty station once at the end of the school year up to the DSSR rate.
- Student must be on official travel orders issued by the Service, Command or Agency.
- Note: Sponsor is required to remove student from Cost of Living Allowances (COLA) when the student is away from post.
Memorandum for Families of Students Enrolled in Boarding Schools Using the Away From Post Rate (May 2014)
Reimbursement process for transportation for boarding school students:
- The Military Finance Point-of-Contact (POC) will need to provide the NDSP with documents related to the travel reimbursement claim to include a copy of the traveler's orders, the 1351-2 (travel voucher) and supporting receipts. The name of the Military Finance POC along with contact information needs to be included with the documentation. The travel reimbursement costs will be combined with the education costs so that the combined reimbursement does not exceed the DSSR Education Allowance.
- The travel reimbursement claim package should be emailed to email@example.com. Include in the subject of the email: Boarding School Transportation along with the sponsor’s country location.
- The NDSP will work with the Military POC to reimburse the service.