DoDEA supports research-based programs that aim to increase student achievement and ease the challenges that military children face due their parents military service. The grant program provides resources to military-connected local educational agencies (LEAs) to develop and implement projects that are designed to:
- Promote student achievement in the core curricular areas.
- Ease the challenges that military students face due to transitions and deployments.
- Support the unique social and emotional needs of military students.
- Promote distance learning opportunities.
- Improve educator professional development.
- Enhance and integrate technology.
- Encourage parental involvement.
Since 2008, DoDEA has awarded nearly $200 million in grants to over 180 military-connected school districts. These three year projects impact nearly 280,000 military-connected students and more than 670,000 students overall in 900 schools.