Department of Defense Education Activity

Student Teaching FAQs

Below is a list of frequently asked questions. We understand that every situation and location is different. If you do not see an answer to your question below, or you have additional questions please reach out to .

Student teaching, practicum, internships, and observation all fall under the STP. Regardless, all field experience requiring coursework for a U.S. college or university require a signed Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between DoDEA and that institution.

No. Doctoral study and capstone project requests should be submitted through the DoDEA EDU Research Accountability and Evaluation office. They can be reached at You can also learn more at their website:


Student teaching applications should be received no later than April 30th for Fall placements and no later than October 31st for Spring placements. We recommend submitting your application two to three months prior to the deadline so that there is sufficient time to route your request for placement.

In order to participate in the DoDEA Student Teacher Program you must be enrolled in a degree or teacher education program with an accredited college or university and there must be an approved Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) between DoDEA and the college or university. The approved MOA list can be found on the Student Teacher Program page of the DoDEA website.

U.S. colleges and universities must be accredited by one of the following regional accrediting agencies:

  • Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) Western Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
  • WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)

You can check your college or university's accrediting agency at

The TeacherReady, Klassroom, and similar programs are not acceptable to DoDEA because they are not a regionally accredited college or university. Although TeacherReady is in collaboration with the University of West Florida, is an alternative certification program that meets the teacher certification requirements for the state of Florida. These programs do not present course work on an official academic college transcript. Rather, courses are earned as Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and DoDEA does not accept CEUs for certification purposes. 

Student teaching or an internship as part of an approved teacher education program in an accredited U.S. institution is required. In the absence of an approved student teaching or internship program, applicants may be given credit for one year of successful full-time employment as an educator. DoDEA does not accept letters/certificates of completion for student teaching. The student teaching experience must appear on an official U.S. accredited college or university transcript which means we would not be able to recognize student teaching completed through TeacherReady, Klassroom, or similar.

You will need to work with your college/university placement coordinator to submit an application for student teaching. The application consists of:

  • Student Teacher Application form
  • DD 2793 – Volunteer Agreement Form
  • DD 2981 – Basic Criminal History and Statement of Admission Form

Once these forms are complete your college/university placement coordinator will submit them to the DoDEA STP coordinator. The DoDEA STP coordinator with work with your three identified school choices to attempt placement.

To establish an agreement between your college/university and DoDEA, you will need to provide your college/university representative the link to the student teaching website ( and request they pursue a MOA with DoDEA. The agreement outlines the responsibilities of both parties, the conditions and limitations under which the volunteer service will be provided, and the method for maintenance of attendance and performance records. Once the MOA is approved we will notify your college/university placement coordinator so that student teaching applications can be accepted.

No. The MOA has been vetted and approved by our General Counsel and the language cannot be altered.

DoDEA personnel will coordinate student teacher FBI fingerprint checks and Installation Record Checks (IRC) to satisfy the Student Teacher Program background check requirements. These background checks will be initiated upon receipt of a complete application package by the stated deadline (e.g. April 30 or October 31).

The Student Teacher Program Coordinator and support team will facilitate tentative placement arrangements after receiving completed application packages. **Final placement decisions are contingent on DoDEA verification of student background checks being favorably adjudicated, including a DoDEA initiated IRC and FBI fingerprint check. Please ensure your students do not make any travel arrangements or otherwise until receipt of final confirmation of placement - this will be in the form of a PDF memorandum signed by the DoDEA Student Teacher Program Coordinator.**

You may also review the background check requirements for volunteers (including student teachers) by reviewing "DoDEA Operational Guidance for Volunteers" on our website.

No. The DoDEA STP coordinator is the liaison between the college/university program placement coordinator and the DoDEA districts and schools that host the student teachers. We ask that you please follow the process.

No. Our cooperating teachers are volunteers. While we do our best to accommodate all application requests, no one is guaranteed placement.

No. Participation in the STP is voluntary service and will not displace the work of a full-time or part-time paid DoDEA employee. If you are a current DoDEA employee, you will be placed in a Leave Without Pay (LWOP) status for the time you are participating in the STP.

Approval is required for each semester you will be volunteering in the Student Teacher Program.

No. Student teachers must apply to compete for employment positions the same as all other interested applicants.

Student teachers should be prepared to use the medical and dental services of the host country. Military facilities are available to provide emergency services in some locations, but the nearest military facilities may be located some distance away. If military facilities are available, a charge will be assessed for medical services. Applicants should determine whether adequate medical care is available in the country concerned prior to accepting an assignment if they have medical problems or require medication. Military dental clinics are usually only available to provide emergency services.

Not recommended. The shipment of a privately owned automobile could be an expensive and lengthy process. In addition, some locations may have restrictions on model, size, year, and country of origin of the vehicle.

No. Due to the high volume of overseas student teaching requests, housing is very limited. Housing may sometimes be shared with other student teachers participating in the program. Also, children of student teachers are not eligible to attend DoDEA schools.

No. Your student teaching experience with DoDEA is gratuitous service performed without benefit or expectation of compensation from the Federal Government. Student teachers are not entitled to travel, subsistence expenses, quarters, allowances, differentials, or any other reimbursement or payment in kind.

No. Your student teaching experience provides you with an opportunity to try out those skills and to apply that knowledge which has been accrued throughout several semesters of preparations. As a student teacher you will be expected to “live the teacher’s day.” This would include reporting in the morning when the regular teachers report and remaining at school until the teachers are dismissed. You may also be required to report earlier or stay later to assist with extra-curricular and professional activities or to attend faculty meetings, leaving little or no time for employment outside this experience.

Visiting restrictions may vary accordingly to each location. Your principal will be able to provide you with the information specific to your assignment location.

Most students who student teach with DoDEA are assigned to their locale choice; however, there are some situations in which opportunities may be limited and the schools may have various reasons for not accepting requested placements. Therefore, you should be prepared to accept an alternate location. We encourage you to list in your top three location choices on your application.

No. DoDEA schools are responsible for educating English-speaking American children of military and civilian personnel on overseas assignments.

You should contact the appropriate foreign consular representative before proceeding abroad in order to determine of a visa is required. If needed, allow sufficient time for processing your visa application, especially if you are applying by mail. Most foreign consular representatives are located in principal cities, and in many instances, a traveler may be required to obtain visas from the consular office in the area of his/her residence. It is the responsibility of the student teacher to obtain visas, where required, from the appropriate embassy or nearest consulate of the country you are planning to visit.

You should contact your current health insurance company to determine if overseas coverage is included in your policy.

Your college or university sets the beginning and ending dates of your student teaching assignment, outlines your attendance requirements, and the method of maintenance of your attendance records. DoDEA will support student teaching that lasts a minimum of 8 weeks and a maximum of 16 weeks.

Cooperating teachers are not paid. Cooperating teachers participate in the program on a volunteer basis. Volunteer service is uncompensated.

You must have sufficient funds for travel, lodging costs, meals, and emergencies. Total costs will vary by location and the type of lodging accommodations.

Prior to departing, you should contact the principal or cooperating teacher of the school to which you have been assigned. They will advise you of the items you will need for traveling such as clothing and toilet articles. Additional items to include will depend on where you will be living when you arrive.

Your principal or cooperating teacher will provide you with this information once a placement is confirmed.

Your principal or cooperating teacher will provide you with this information once placement is confirmed.