Educators Online Application

Benefits for Overseas Educators

Eligibility for allowances, differentials, and transportation agreements is determined by the type of appointment and location of residence at the time of appointment. Selectees will be advised of their eligibility for allowances, transportation, and other benefits at the time an offer is extended.


Salaries are comparable to salaries for similar positions in urban school jurisdictions having a population of 100,000 or more in the United States. Teachers are paid on seven (7) different academic salary lanes (ASL) which reflect degrees and graduate course work completed after each degree. The current ASL’s are bachelor’s degree, bachelor’s plus 15 semester hours, bachelor’s plus 30 semester hours, master’s degree, master’s plus 15 semester hours, master’s plus 30 semester hours, and doctorate degree. Service increments or steps are provided to recognize years of verified experience up to the allowed maximum. To access the most recent educator salary schedules, reference our compensation home page.

Health Benefits

A voluntary health benefits program is available for all eligible government employees. The government shares the cost of the basic plan. For complete information about this program, reference the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) home page.

Life Insurance

A low cost insurance plan with several options is available to eligible employees. The government shares the cost of the basic plan. For complete information about this program, reference the Federal Employees Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) home page.


Eligible employees are covered by the Federal Employees’ Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-part retirement plan consisting of Social Security Benefits, FERS basic benefits, and a Thrift Savings Plan (TSP). For complete information about FERS, reference the FERS home page.

For complete information about TSP, reference the TSP home page.

Living Quarters Allowance

A Living Quarters Allowance is paid to eligible employees by the U.S. Government to help defray rental and utility charges when housing is rented on the local economy. Government housing may be provided in some overseas areas without charge. Unaccompanied personnel may be required to share government quarters. Extended stays in temporary housing may be necessary at some posts while awaiting suitable housing for the employee and family. Generally, only applicants hired while living in the United States are eligible for a Living Quarters Allowance.

Length of Tour

Tours of duty are one or two school years depending on the area of assignment.

  • One-Year Tour Areas: Bahrain, Cuba, Italy (Sigonella), Korea, Japan (Misawa and Okinawa), Portugal (Azores) and Turkey.
  • Two-Year Tour Areas: Belgium, England, Germany, Italy (other than Sigonella), Japan (other than Misawa and Okinawa), Netherlands and Spain.

Transportation Agreement

Selected applicants must sign a Transportation Agreement to commit to remain overseas for the tour of duty. Transportation is provided for eligible employees, their family members, and household goods to and from the overseas area. Upon successful completion of a tour of duty, employees may commit to another tour of duty and be granted travel to and from the United States at government expense.

Selected applicants are also required to sign a mobility certificate indicating that they understand and agree to be reassigned to other school positions, for which they are determined qualified, at any location within the DoDDS system.

Shipment of Household Goods

Shipment and/or storage of household goods and personal effects are at government expense for eligible employees. The weight allowances vary according to location and will be determined at the time of processing.

Shipment of Automobile

The shipment of a privately owned automobile at government expense may be authorized in certain areas. There may be restrictions on model, size, year, and country of origin of the vehicle.

Shipment of Pets

The shipment and quarantine of pets are at the expense of the selectee. These expenses can be quite high. Pets are not authorized entry into some areas. Some countries impose lengthy quarantines on pets.

Medical/Dental Facilities

Applicants should be prepared to use the medical and dental services of the host country.  Military dispensaries may be available to provide emergency services in some locations, but the nearest military hospital facilities may be located some distance away.  Medical care at overseas military treatment facilities is limited.  Mental health care professionals are generally not available in the military medical units and host nation mental health professionals usually do not meet the needs of Americans.  Individuals or family members with behavior disorders or requiring psychiatric or mental health care should not travel to overseas areas.  Internal medicine practitioners and cardiologists are generally not available in military health care units.  Military and foreign country pharmacies may not stock medicines or prescription drugs that are available in the U.S. Teachers must pay for all prescriptions filled at Military Treatment Facilities (MTFs).  The MTFs pharmacy rates are comparable to rates in the United States. Applicants must determine whether adequate medical care is available in the country concerned prior to accepting an assignment if they or their family members have medical problems or require medication.  Military dental clinics are usually only available to provide emergency services.

Special Education

The Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS) provides education including special education to the children of DoD civilians who are eligible for services from DoDDS. Students must meet DoDDS criteria for special education. Services are provided based on an Individualized Educational Program. Most schools are not staffed for all disabilities although DoDDS staffs schools in specific locations for a full range of disabilities. Prior to accepting a position, applicants who have children with significant disabilities (i.e., blindness, deafness, severe mental retardation, serious emotional impairments) should ensure that the child's educational need can be met at the location of the job. Applicants may review the DoDEA Special Education web page for more specific information on special education services overseas.