Steps 1 through 9 below describe the process for requesting 'other than economy/coach' accommodations (e.g., business class). Steps 1 through 3, 5, 7 and 9 describe the process for requesting special economy seating (e.g., an economy class ticket requiring the payment of a premium above the economy/coach class rate, for example, for extra leg room, or for more than one contiguous economy/coach class seat).
Note: Emergency circumstances for 'other than economy/coach' accommodations will be processed without travel orders for steps 2 through 4; however, completed travel orders are required for steps 5 through 9. Inadequate planning does not constitute extenuating/emergency circumstances and will not be recommended for an exception.
- Step 1:
Traveler initiates request for 'other than economy/coach' accommodations or special economy seating by submitting a request to the DoDEA Human Resources Division via email at Premium.Travel@hq.dodea.edu with the following documentation:
- a. Licensed Medical Practitioner's Statement completed by competent medical authority (i.e., a licensed medical practitioner serving the traveler) and dated within 6 months of the anticipated travel end date. The statement must support the diagnosis with documentation and provide the medical justification for the requested travel upgrade and attendant, if required. The statement must also be signed, dated and imprinted with the physician's stamp (in the absence of a stamp, letterhead imprinted with the physician's name, practice and contact information). If the stamp or letterhead is not provided, the form will be considered incomplete and will be returned to the submitting employee. Incomplete forms will result in delay of processing and approval decisions. Travelers must provide this form to request a travel upgrade. Letters or notes from physicians will not be accepted.
- b. Traveler's Request for Premium-Class Travel form.
- c. Copy of completed travel orders.
- d. Copy of travel quotes for coach and business class seating, in writing, to and from the home of record in U.S. dollars from CTO or other Government travel office.
- Step 2: The traveler's medical documentation will be provided to a medical professional contractor for a recommendation of approval, disaproval, or a lesser accomodation in coach class.
- Step 3:
DoDEA HR prepares the package for review/coordination by DoDEA Office of General Counsel.
- Step 4:
Package is forwarded to DoD Office of General Counsel for review/coordination, if requesting 'other than economy/coach' accommodations.
- Step 5:
Package is forwarded to the DoDEA Director for review/concurrence/approval.
- Step 6:
Package is forwarded to the AO through the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Manpower and Reserve Affairs ASD (M&RA) for coordination.
- Step 7:
ASD (M&RA) forwards package to the AO Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness (USD (P&R) for approval/disapproval.
- Step 8:
If approved, DoDEA HR notifies the traveler and request the U.S. Army Civilian Human Resources Agency (CHRA) amend the travel orders.
- Step 9:
With amended travel orders the DoDEA HQ Resources Management Division will make reservations in the Defense Travel System (DTS) for the traveler.
- Step 10:
HQ DoDEA will notify the employee that the ticket is available in DTS.