The Center for Instructional Leadership (CIL) provides support for each district in multiple ways, including a team of Professional Practice Improvement Specialists (PPISs). There are PPISs strategically located in each district. The PPIS is a key member of the CIL, and designs, delivers and evaluates professional learning in all areas of instructional leadership, with a focus on supporting ISSs, school, and district leaders. There are 8 PPISs assigned to the Pacific region.
The PPIS CIL team members support instructional leaders in the Pacific Region through professional learning and coaching and are primarily assigned to support school leaders within their assigned district with their needs. The CIL facilitates networks of school leaders across the region and provides individual coaching sessions for principals and assistant principals on a consistent schedule as well as requested. The PPIS team offers differentiated support to school leaders to meet their specialized needs, to include establishing and facilitating regional networks, initiating the sharing of resources, supporting the leaders as they learn to embody the DoDEA definition of Instructional Leadership. The PPIS work side by side with school leaders supporting the implementation and monitoring of the DoDEA Learning Walkthrough Process and Focused Collaboration Time. Research suggests that the leadership that principals provide is only second to that of the quality of teachers (Lemoine, 2014). Principals and assistant principals are an integral part of our team, providing impactful leadership supporting the DoDEA Mission to Educate, Engage, and Empower Every Student, Every day, Everywhere.
The PPIS team is committed to supporting leaders through the following venues:
- Providing on-going consultation, coaching and collaborative opportunities to implement research-based, and student-centered instructional practices to foster professionalism, improve learning outcomes, and support transfer of learning into practice.
- Serving as thought partners to school and district leaders.
- Providing professional learning at the school, district and regional level to include:
- Assistant Principal Academy
- Courses Offerings
- Monthly School Leadership Meetings
- Just In Time Trainings
- Supporting a systemic approach for the fidelity of implementation of CCRS, Assessments, Programs, and Instructional practices within and across regions.
- Conducting district and school visits supporting continuous school improvement efforts and sharing support structures for focused collaboration.
- Facilitating CIL, district, and school leadership teams to make informed decisions and develop robust plans for improving student achievement, and monitoring school, district and regional effectiveness.
- Creating, implementing, and monitoring sustainable, relevant, CIL annual education plans or program improvement plans that support the districts’ continuous improvement plans and addresses systemic goals and local interventions.
- Assesses designs, adapts, delivers, interprets, monitors, and evaluates professional learning for instructional leaders, specialists, and teacher leaders and leadership teams.
- Assesses professional learning needs of educators within and across districts to meet systemic goals and priorities through design, development, and administration of multiple data collection methods (e.g. surveys, questionnaires, walkthroughs, and observations).
- Develops and implements on-going evaluation of professional learning experiences (inputs) and quality and degree of implementation (outputs) to identify performance deficiencies and inform professional development.
- Participates in professional learning communities and networks to maintain skills, share effective implementation practices, resolve common concerns, and provide research-based instruction to improve student achievement.
Any ISS, school or district leader can reach out to a PPIS or PDS for coaching and support at any time. The PPIS team is here to support the four functions of the CIL, and be of support to districts and ISS teams for all of their professional learning needs.