Department of Defense Education Activity

Food Services

Your Community School Meals Program


Cafeteria Contacts

  • Stateside: 011-39- 095-56-0539
  • Local: 095-56-0539
  • DSN: 624-0539

Current school lunch menu.

Navy Exchange Service Command School Meal Program (NEXCOM)

The Navy Exchange Service Command School Meal Program operates the DoD Student Meal Program (SMP) in 10 OCONUS locations: Naples, Sigonella, Rota, Bahrain, Yokosuka, Atsugi, Ikego, Sasebo, Hario and Guantanamo Bay. The SMP offers meals, on a break-even basis, in accordance with USDA nutrition standards. Whole grains, lean proteins, fresh fruits and vegetables, and low-fat milk are offered on a daily basis. The mission of the NEX Student Meal Program is to provide delicious and nutritious meals to students.


How do I obtain a meal account for my child?

Please visit your school with all necessary documents to properly register your child for school. A school staff member will provide you with a DoDEA student ID number so you can complete the SMP Enrollment Form.

Why do I need to complete a Student Meal Program Enrollment Form?

In order for NEX to have all of the pertinent information to create a meal account you must complete the Student Meal Program (SMP) Enrollment Form. Once the information is captured and a parent/guardian is obtained, NEX will enter the data into Horizon OneSource. A separate form must be filled out for each individual student. Submit completed forms back to your local customer service desk (Rota, Sigonella), or residential services (Naples) to complete enrollment. Once your child is enrolled and you receive your PIN, you are eligible to register on MyPaymentsPlus (MPP). If your family is stationed in Bahrain, you will purchase meal tickets from your local NEX.

What is MyPaymentsPlus (MPP) and how does it work?

MyPaymentPlus (MPP) is K-12 online payment system enabling parents to deposit into their student’s account for meals. An MPP account is free and will allow you to monitor and manage lunch account online or through a phone app. It will also send you a trigger e-mail when your NEXCOM lunch account is low. MPP does charge a small % fee for lunch accounts deposits, but the account and trigger emails are absolutely free! You are not required to deposit through MPP, you can also make payments at NEXCOM customer service or the cafeteria for free.

If you need more information please contact your installation School Liaison Officer.

What are the current prices of breakfast and lunch?

Price List 2019-2020 for All Schools

Where can I find the monthly menus?

Please visit Navy Exchange School Lunch Program page.

What time is breakfast and lunch for my child?

Please contact your child’s teacher for the correct time.

What do I do if my child forgets his/her meal or meal money?

School cafeteria will make special arrangements to feed your child. Your child will receive a regular pattern school meal with instructions on the proper repayment method. You, the parent, will also receive a notice via email with proper repayment methods. The cafeteria is not allowed to change any a la carte items (if available at your school) if no sufficient funds is on the account. Please make an appointment with your local school cafeteria manager (or designated school meals representative) for further clarification.

How do I know if I qualify for Free or Reduced Student Meal Program?

If you’re total household size and income on the chart is the same or less than the amounts on the Income Eligibility Chart, your child is eligible to receive free meals. A foster child who is the legal responsibility of the courts is eligible to receive free meals regardless of your income. Children enrolled in Sure Start are considered a direct certification program and automatically qualify for free school meals. How do I apply for the Free and Reduced Student Meal Program? To qualify for free or reduced price meals for your child, you must complete an application and return to your School Liaison Officer. Be sure to complete the entire application. Applications are available on 1 July and you must have your student’s DoDEA student ID number. It is very important that a correct email address is included in the application or you will not receive the status confirmation email.

NEW APPLICANTS: Please apply as early at 1 July and contact your School Liaison Officer (SLO) for assistance.

RENEWAL APPLICANTS: Please renew your application as soon as possible. Families that qualified for free or reduced last school year have a 30 day calendar window once school has started to re-apply for this current school year.

For step-by-step instructions for filling out online free and reduced meal application please review this PDF guide.

Do NOT include overseas housing allowance (OHA) or Overseas Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) in total income. You MUST include base pay and Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS).

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027), and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
(1) Mail:
U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.