DoDEA Principals must meet the following qualifications in alignment with the NASSP and NAESP recognition programs. The nominee:
- Is an active DoDEA School Principal.
- Is a DoDEA School Principal with a commitment to excellence:
- Who maintains or increases high academic achievement.
- Who is recognized for student excellence locally, DoDEA Regionally, or nationally.
- Who shows strong educational leadership by setting high expectations for school staff and students.
- Who is respected by students, colleagues, parents, and the community.
- Has been an active principal for at least 5 years, at school(s) within or outside of DoDEA, with a minimum of 3 consecutive years of experience, to include the current school year.
- Has not previously been selected as DoDEA POY.