- The student is in danger of failing and needs support to successfully complete an academic course to progress to the next level.
- The school requires additional instruction to enable the child to enter a grade, remain in the same grade, or complete a grade in the school.
- The support is used as pre-referral intervention/Response to Intervention (RTI) for students who are suspected of having special education needs.
- When the child's first language is not English and instruction is in English (only when the school does not have an English as a second language teacher).
- When a student is attending school where the language of instruction is other than English. This foreign language is typically in the form of tutoring.
- U.S. - related coursework - such as U.S. history, American literature, Advanced Placement courses.
- Summer School - may be approved on a case-by-case basis in those instances where it is mandatory to make up instructional time lost due to evacuation, permanent change of station move, differences in the inclusive dates of the school year, or other unforeseen emergency situations.
- Gifted education services (for students meeting DoDEA gifted criteria) - may include costs for the school's Gifted and Talented program and/or additional materials/courses to address educational needs.
NOTE: In light of COVID-19, academic support may be approved on a case-by-case basis and must be pre-approved by the NDSP Education Specialist.
Students must meet certain criteria to be eligible for the different types of supplemental support. Funding for all academic support must be pre-approved by the NDSP Education Specialist for your region.
Contact your NDSP Education Specialist for more information.