Department of Defense Education Activity

Local School

Local Public School

For information on a local public school, contact the local education council to determine enrollment procedures for your location. You are eligible for reimbursement of authorized expenses for education (books, fees, etc.) and transportation costs up to the DSSR limit for your duty location. Please refer to Expenses and Transportation for more information.

Local Private Day

For a local private day school, please review Choosing an International School. Use these documents to assist with making an informed decision for your child. You are required to select a school which will allow your child to easily progress to the next grade level upon your return to the U.S. NDSP pays one-time fees once per tour of duty unless the school does not offer the next grade level or the school is not able to accommodate the educational needs of the child and the maximum education allowance for the school year has not been exceeded. 

Local Non-English Speaking School

When considering a school providing  instruction in another language other than English, it is recommended to review the Non-English School Guidance.

School/U.S. Government Transportation

This type of transportation is when the transportation is provided by or arranged by the school or by the U.S. government such as an embassy contracted bus. If School or U.S. Government Transportation is not available, then you can choose between POV Transportation or Commercial Transportation.

If you use School or U.S. Government Transportation, you should follow the same process as "Payment for a School Invoice."

POV Transportation

POV Transportation can be used if School or U.S. Government Transportation is unavailable. To be reimbursed for POV Transportation, complete the following form:

NOTE: To claim POV mileage, refer to the Defense Travel Management Office Mileage Rates. Only one round trip per day is allowed to school and return. The one-way distance must exceed one mile to qualify for payment/reimbursement.

Commercial Transportation

Commercial Transportation can be used if School or U.S. Government Transportation is unavailable. This type of transportation includes commercial modes of transportation such as a public bus, train, taxi, etc. If you use commercial transportation, you should follow the same process as "Payment for a School Invoice."