Arranging For Your Move

Arranging For Your Move

1. Arrange for Travel and Transfer of Household Goods, Unaccompanied Baggage, and Privately Owned Vehicle

Once you receive your travel orders, you will need to make arrangements to coordinate the transfer of your goods and belongings with assistance from your HR Specialist. Representatives at your local Transportation Office will be able to assist in the process. Please also reference the resources available on the Defense Personal Property System (DPS) website. It will be important to start this process as early as possible to increase your chances of getting your preferred pickup date.If you have questions about how to access these resources, please contact your HR Specialist or Transportation Office.

Household Goods Shipment (HHG)
HHG (Household Goods) are your personal property and home furnishings. Typically employees have a total weight allowance of 18,000 pounds which would include their household goods, unaccompanied baggage, and NTS (Non Temporary Storage). However, certain locations may restrict the weight limit of the goods you will be authorized to ship so you will need to determine your weight authorization prior to your pack out. You may also be eligible for temporary storage of your HHG during your move, for example if you are having difficulty finding a permanent residence in your new location. You may not be able to move all items from your household in this shipment because certain items are restricted (e.g. propane gas tanks and other flammable items). HHG typically take six to eight weeks to arrive at your new overseas location. Below is a link to the Defense Transportation Office's guide to DoD Civilian moves. More information on your move can be found there. Please consult your travel office or HR Specialist with any questions.

Unaccompanied Baggage
Unaccompanied Baggage (also known as your Express Shipment) is a small portion of your HHG that is not carried during travel to the new duty location but is transported by an expedited mode to your new duty location. This shipment is an opportunity to ship those items you will need immediately at the new duty location (e.g. linens, towels, kitchen utensils, etc.). You will need to check with your HR specialist for the actual weight limits you are authorized for this shipment.

Privately Owned Vehicle (POV)
Privately Owned Vehicles (POV) would include cars, motorcycles, and dirt bikes. Your authorization for POV shipment will depend on whether your move is within the Continental US (CONUS) or outside the Continental US (OCONUS). For a CONUS move, you may be authorized transportation of up to two vehicles and for an OCONUS move you may be authorized transportation of one vehicle. Generally motorcycles and dirt bikes can be shipped either as a separate POV or in your HHG shipment.

There are generally very specific guidelines to follow in preparing your POV for shipment. These procedures will ensure POVs are shipped safely and comply with all importation requirements. Certain countries may have restrictions in place for the importation of vehicles (especially motorcycles and dirt bikes) so it is important to check with your Transportation Office for clarification prior to shipment.

2. Terminate Living Quarters Allowance (LQA) & Post Allowance: CURRENT OCONUS EMPLOYEES ONLY

Once you have moved out of your overseas quarters you will need to submit a SF-1190 (Application for Foreign Allowance) through the DoDEA Allowance Processing System (DAPS) to terminate Living Quarters Allowance (LQA) and terminate Post Allowance (PA). If you have questions, please contact your local Transportation Office or HR Specialist.

3. Initiate Request for Temporary Quarters Subsistence Allowance (TQSA): CURRENT OCONUS EMPLOYEES ONLY

Temporary Quarters Subsistence Allowance (TQSA) is an allowance to assist with temporary lodging, meals, laundry and dry cleaning in a foreign area when an employee is getting ready to depart his or her post permanently, and must vacate residential quarters. If you have questions or are unsure if you are authorized for TQSA, please contact your local Transportation Office or HR Specialist.

If you qualify for TQSA, make sure you complete:

  • SF 1190 through DAPS to terminate LQA and initiate TQSA.
  • File your TQSA claim through DAPS.

4. Repay Unused Living Quarters Allowance: CURRENT OCONUS EMPLOYEES ONLY

Please keep in mind you will need to return any unused LQA to the Human Resources Office. Please contact your local HR Specialist with any questions.

5. DD Form 1833: Isolated Personnel Recovery Report (ISOPREP): CURRENT OCONUS EMPLOYEES ONLY

Overseas employees must complete relevant mandatory security trainings as directed by your HR Specialist and ensure they are accurately captured by completing the ISOPREP form, and submitting it to your local Security Officer. If you have any questions, contact your local security office or your HR Specialist.

Open modal Return to top