When You Arrive At Your New Duty Station

When You Arrive At Your New Duty Station

1. Establish New Mailing Address & Banking Information:

If you have not already done so, it is important to establish a new mailing address and current banking information as soon as you arrive at your new duty station. Establishing this information ahead of time will ease your in-processing experience.

2. Temporary Quarters Subsistence Expense Allowances (TQSE)

TQSE is an allowance for lodging, meals (meal preparations), and laundry for the first 30 days of an employee's move to their new location. If you are eligible for TQSE, you will need to collect receipts for lodging, meals, and other eligible expenses. It is important to remember that TQSE can be extended on a case-by-case basis, if certain conditions are met. Also, TQSE can be authorized for actual expenses or lump sum payment. This will be annotated on your travel orders. Finally, the TQSE can change; check with Resource Management or your HR Specialist to verify your per diem and reimbursement entitlement. You will use a DD2912 form to itemize your TQSE expenses, and submit it with a DD1351-2 to file your claim. If you are unsure if you're approved for TQSE, please contact your local HR Specialist.

3. Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA)

The reimbursement(s) for TQSE and PCS moves are taxed. The employee pays an increased portion for Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA) and Medicare. RITA allows the employee to recoup some of these tax losses. In the next calendar year after your move, you will receive a separate W2 to file for TQSE/PCS reimbursement(s). You can file for RITA after you have filed and paid your previous year's taxes, using a DD1351-2 and a RITA Certification Form.

4. Thrift Savings Plan Adjustment: Select Current Federal Employees

If you are transitioning between two payroll databases (i.e., CONUS to OCONUS or vice versa), you must inform your local CSR of Financial Technician so that they can adjust your contribution level, if necessary. If you are unsure if this is necessary for you, please contact your local CSR or Financial Technician.

5. Check Status of Shipments and Deliveries

You will need to contact the local Transportation Office to track shipment and delivery of your household goods, unaccompanied baggage, and privately owned vehicles.

Open modal Return to top