Students have attended six different Kubasaki campuses since 1946. “Okinawa University High School” was the first site which opened in early 1946. Classes were held in Okinawa University buildings and a large Quonset nearby. The school gained its own residence in 1947 when it was moved to a group of 15 prefabricated buildings in the Awase housing area. Typhoon Gloria destroyed the campus in July, 1949, delaying the opening of that school year. When school did begin, the campus had been moved to two temporary family residences in the Zukeran housing area. In 1950, the school name was changed to Okinawa American High School and was relocated to Quonsets in the Awase area. In 1952, rising enrollment forced a move to another set of Quonsets at the Army Training School located at Kubasaki – later referred to as the “Kubasaki Nine.” In 1958, the school was moved to partitioned barracks in the Wheel area of Naha. By the early 1960s, the school was hosting grades ten through twelve. Finally, in 1964, the school moved to its present location in Kishaba Terrace, overlooking Fort Buckner, and was renamed Kubasaki High School.
Kubasaki High School serves approximately 700 students in grades 9-12 whose families represent all military branches, Department of Defense civilians, and private industry. The school, opened on September 15, 1946, is located on Marine Corps Camp S. D. Butler, Okinawa, Japan. The current open campus facility was completed in 1964.
Crede quod habes et habes
“Believe that you have and you have.”
The SUN at the top of the shield represents the enlightenment that comes from learning; the rays signify the main avenues of learning open to all.
The TORII in the upper left corner represents Japan, the location of our school.
The TORCH in the lower left corner represents the light of learning and understanding.
The ATOMIC SYMBOL in the upper right corner represents the sciences.
The WINGED FOOT in the lower right corner represents the field of physical development and sports.
The LAUREL BRANCHES extending on either side of the crest represent success and victory.