Research, Accountability and Evaluation
The primary mission of the Research, Accountability, and Evaluation Division (RAE) is to provide reliable and timely information to enable DoDEA to make strategic decisions for the benefit of all students. RAE handles data requests related to the Blueprint, College and Career Ready Standards (CCRS), and division and branch goals. The work of the Division informs:
- policy change,
- program change,
- program monitoring,
- program evaluation,
- professional learning,
- materials acquisition,
- safety and security decision-making, and
- staffing needs.
- Provides data and process design support on Agency-wide accountability processes in coordination with the Strategic and Organizational Excellence Division.
- In coordination with the Professional Learning Division, RAE designs and analyzes surveys to assess the effectiveness of its internal professional learning. Framing and analysis of findings is informed by the Kirkpatrick Method.
- RAE develops, coordinates, and analyzes DoDEA’s biannual Customer Satisfaction Survey.
- RAE analyzes data and determines eligibility for the Blue Ribbon Schools Program. A listing of winners can be found here.
Data Governance and Reporting
- RAE’s Data Governance and Reporting Branch develops data infrastructure and interactive dashboards to provide DoDEA’s educators and operational staff with the data needed to make informed decisions.
- The Data Governance and Reporting Branch is leading the development of DoDEA’s Ed-Fi based Data Warehouse in partnership with DoDEA’s Information Technology Division. The Data Warehouse infrastructure to date has enabled many ad-hoc and regular reports supporting DoDEA’s education and operations activities.
- The Data Governance and Reporting Branch also supports analysts in a variety of roles throughout the Agency in conducting their own reporting through professional learning, a Community of Practice, and individual consultation.
- The full list of dashboards and report available to DoDEA team members is housed on our access-controlled Data Portal: https://dodea.sharepoint.com/sites/RAE.
- In the spring of 2021 RAE instituted a new process to put the 50+ Curriculum and Student Services Programs on a five-year review cycle to evaluate program implementation and effectiveness for internal stakeholders. Recent evaluations include reports on the College and Career Ready Standards (CCRS) in 3-12 Math, K-12 Literacy, and K-5 Science. In SY2021-22 RAE is scheduled to evaluate the following programs: 6-12 Social Studies including AP courses, 6-12 Science including AP courses, K-5 Literacy, School Nursing, and the Chemical Hygiene Safety Protocol.
- RAE designs performance assessments and performs analyses for internal stakeholders. Recent examples include analyses of K-5 Instructional Time Allocation by Subject; Teacher Focused Collaboration Time; Forward Institutional Support (FIST) Customer Satisfaction; ISS Workforce Needs; standards-based report card use; curriculum and institutional supports to foster health, nutrition, and resiliency; and the Defense Organizational Climate Survey (DEOCS).
- RAE conducts research for the system, analyzes data, and reports on student academic performance on tests such as the Benchmark Assessment System (BAS), the SAT, ACT, and Advanced Placement (AP).
- RAE conducts research on best practices of various aspects of K-12 education to inform program change and materials acquisition.
- RAE is responsible for the coordination and review of all requests to DoDEA for research from both internal and external stakeholders. Research Request FAQs
- RAE research policy, application instructions, and forms