Safety and Occupational Health
The Safety Division functions as the safety consultants for DoDEA. We look for potential risks in our schools & facilities and work with leadership and employees by recommending options to help keep staff and students healthy and safe.
The Safety Division has a Chief and Deputy Chief at HQ working directly for the DoDEA Chief of Staff. We have one full time Safety professional at each DSO worldwide. The District Officers are responsible for program guidance and inspections in their District.
In addition to looking for conditions that increase the risk of typical slips, trips, impacts and other injuries, we offer assistance with Safety program areas such as:
- Ergonomics - Workspace (desk layout, etc.), lifting
- Hazard Communication - Chemical storage, personal protection, eyewash/shower, asbestos, lead
- Fire - Structure design and building contents
- Electrical - Utilities & equipment
- Thermal stress - Heat & cold exposure
- Indoor air quality - Mold, chemical, environmental
- Fall Protection - Ladders, lifts, roofs, scaffolds
- Playground - Design and annual evaluation
- Hearing Conservation - Noise exposure (equipment, band, gym, lunchroom)
- Materials handling - Forklifts, manlifts, etc.
- Traffic, transportation & pedestrian safety - Design, process review
- AIRs and injury reporting - App management, review, OSHA notification
- Nursing - Blood borne pathogens & AEDs
- Sanitation - Housekeeping, kitchen, food safety
- Facilities - Design review, construction, maintenance, ADA compliance
- ... and much more! If you're not sure whether it's in our lane, just ask.
FDA Food Code
Local, state, tribal, and federal regulators use the FDA Food Code as a model to develop or update their own food safety rules.
FoodSafety.gov is the gateway to food safety information provided by government agencies.
Recalls, Market Withdrawals, & Safety Alerts
The list provides information gathered from press releases and other public notices about certain recalls of FDA-regulated products.
Safety and Health, Consumer Products Safety Commission
FEMA Earthquake Safety Activities
This publication provides ready-to-use, hands-on activities for students and teachers explaining what happens during an earthquake, how to prepare for earthquake shaking, and how to stay safe during and after an earthquake.
Tips for Home Playground Safety
Each year, more than 200,000 children go to U.S. hospital emergency rooms with injuries associated. with playground equipment.
Tips for Public Playground Safety
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) offers consumers these playground safety tips from its Handbook for Public Playground Safety.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - Influenza (Flu)
Avian influenza virus: This virus usually refers to influenza A viruses found chiefly in birds, but infections can occur in humans.
National School Safety Center
If you are thinking that school violence is a new problem then you are totally wrong! It has its roots in the ancient time as well.
Online Safety Resource Library (Oklahoma State University)
Occupational and Construction Safety at Oklahoma State University is a comprehensive program that strives to strengthen the campus safety culture by serving to protect employees who are at risk.
Playground Safety Publications
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of the of consumer products
School Chemistry Laboratory Safety (CDC/NIOSH Guidelines)
School Chemistry Laboratory Safety Guide
Safety & Security Regulations
Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Control Program
This Regulation standardizes bloodborne pathogen exposure controls, policy, procedures, and responsibilities for the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA).
DoDEA Chemical Hygiene & Safety Program
This regulation establishes chemical safety policy, procedures, and responsibilities for the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA).
DoDEA Safety Program
This Regulation updates and revises general policy, responsibilities, and procedures for ensuring a safe and healthy educational and work environment for DoDEA students, staff, and visitors.