Lejeune High School is located aboard Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base and is operated by the Department of Defense Education Activity. Founded in 1944, the originally named Camp Lejeune High School was led by a Principal and a Marine Officer, thus requiring certain military expectations to be followed such as grooming standards and locker inspections. The first campus was located on Brewster Boulevard in what is now the Russell Family Building. In 1961, it was relocated to Stone Street in what is now the John A. Lejeune Education Center. In 1968, Camp Lejeune High School was renamed to Lejeune High School. A new campus was built for the school in 1990.
A $40 million contract was award in March 2017 for a comprehensive renovation and the construction of a new two-story complex facing Brewster Boulevard. The project, involving 151,000 square feet, will move Lejeune High School forward to the new 21st century learning community design. Construction is ongoing in phases while school remains in session. The target date for completion is Sept 2020.
("old" Lejeune High School front, facing Stone Street, 2017)
The office front entrance is now located off of Brewster Boulevard. The "old" front entrance from Stone Street has been closed. Parents and visitors may visit our campus via Brewster Blvd and make a right at the fork. Our parking lot is just past the fenced Walsh Construction area on the left. Parents and visitors may follow the signs by the sidewalk to the front office entrance.
(design image of the new Lejeune High School front, facing Brewster Blvd.)
(design image of the new Lejeune High School two-story learning hub complex)
Our school is named after Lieutenant General John Archer Lejeune, 13th Commandant of the Marine Corps.
Lt. Gen. Lejeune was born in Pointe Coupee, Louisiana on January 10, 1867. He graduated from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge before being appointed as Midshipman at the U.S. Naval Academy. He graduated from the Naval Academy in 1888 and then was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Marine Corps on July 1, 1890. His service included commanding 2nd Division and an Army divisional command during World War I. He was then appointed Commanding General, Marine Barracks, Quantico,Virginia before being appointed as Major General Commandant of the Marine Corps in July 1920. He is also credited with being the founding member of the Marine Corps League. Being credited with over 40 years of Marine Corps service, he retired in November 1929, when he became the Superintendent of the Virginia Military Institute. Lt. Gen. Lejeune died on November 20, 1942 in Maryland and was interred in Arlington National Cemetery.
Read more about his life and accomplishments by visiting the Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune.