Smith Elementary School was established in 1952 and had its grand opening on January 24, 1953 in Baumholder, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany. The school was named after Captain Harold D. Smith, an honored soldier of WW II.
Today, Smith ES serves children, grades Pre-Kindergarten - 6th, of the military and civilian personnel of the U.S. Army Garrison Baumholder.
We are located at Baumholder, Germany, is designated Harold D. Smith Barracks in honor of Captain Harold D. Smith, Infantry Reconnaissance Company, 67th Armored Regiment, who was awarded posthumously the Distinguished Service Cross for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy. On 6 August 1944 Captain Smith, due to the tactical situation at hand, left his company and went forward on foot to reconnoiter strong enemy positions. Approaching a crossroad strongly held by the enemy, he was met by heavy fire. Friendly infantry which had been attacking these positions had suffered severe casualties. He proposed to carry a number of the wounded infantrymen to comparative safety and remained at this work of assisting the wounded after all friendly troops had withdrawn. A short time later, he returned to his company, and calmly resuming command, proceeded with the execution of a mission newly assigned to his company.