- Team with regional Information Center ISS to support school level information specialists and to promote programs and practices that best meet the needs of DoDEA students and teachers.
- Manage and ensure information center enterprise systems are functioning properly and are aligned to DoDEA's standards and curriculum.
- Manage, develop, and align information center resources (digital and print) to DoDEA's standards and curriculum.
- Team with procurement to ensure that contracts are developed, awarded and managed within DoDEA's regulations.
- Manage the HQ information center budget.
- Team with HQ ISSs to align information resources to curriculum and standards.
- Manage policy updates and other official DoDEA resources.
- Develop professional development for regional information center ISSs.
- Work with HQ ISS to promote and embed information center resources and services into their programs with professional development.
- Create comprehensive professional development for PK-12 information specialists.
- Communicate that the information center ISS team is available to provide professional development to ensure the use of information centers and their resources.
- Maintain information specialists Schoology group board, this format helped to create a professional community of support and sharing.
- Ensure that policy and other information center updates reach their intended audiences.
The role of the DoDEA School Library Information Center program is to support the DoDEA mission of Educate, Engage and Empower military-connected students to succeed in a dynamic world. This mission is achieved by:
- Providing access to diverse print and digital resource materials that are aligned to the DoDEA curriculum and engage student interest;
- Providing library services and literacy programming that fosters a love of reading, curiosity and lifelong learning;
- Engaging learners with essential information literacy skills; and
- Collaborating with educators to design learning strategies and deliver instruction that meets the needs of the military-connected child.
The American Association of School Librarians’ (AASL) National School Library Standards for Learners, School Librarians, and School Libraries guide DoDEA library programs. The standards focus on Six Shared Foundations – Inquire, Include, Collaborate, Curate, Explore, and Engage, which highlight the standard’s core educational concepts. These standards support CCRS across all content areas.
- Inquire: Build new knowledge by inquiring, thinking critically, identifying problems, and developing strategies for solving problems.
- Include: Demonstrate an understanding of commitment to inclusiveness and respect for diversity in the learning community.
- Collaborate: Work effectively with others to broaden perspectives and work toward common goals.
- Curate: Make meaning for oneself and others by collecting, organizing, and sharing resources of personal relevance.
- Explore: Discover and innovate in a growth mindset developed through experience and reflection.
- Engage: Demonstrate safe, legal, and ethical creating and sharing of knowledge products independently while engaging in a community of practice and an interconnected world.
4800 Mark Center Drive
Alexandria, VA 22350